* B A B Y * E D I T I O N *

Here she is!

Our little baby “Joy.” She arrived Monday afternoon weighing 6 lbs. 7 oz. and was 19 inches long.

The short version of the birth story: The induction began around 8:00am. The combination of being sick with a sinus infection and frequent interruptions from people coming in and out made pain management difficult, so I went ahead and asked for the epidural around noon, even though contractions weren’t too bad yet.

Unfortunately the epidural didn’t get full coverage. There was a spot about eight inches in diameter on my lower right side where there was zero pain coverage.

The anesthesiologist obviously felt bad about it, so she added more medication to try to get it covered. Didn’t work. She added more and more medication but we couldn’t get that spot anesthetized. We did, however, get the rest of my lower body anesthetized to oblivion — at one point I saw the nurse set something big down on the bed and I realized with a jolt that it was my freaking leg. I lost all sensation, even pressure, in all my lower body except that one “hot spot.”

Being completely unable to move any of my lower body while experiencing the pain of pictosin-induced transition contractions will not go down as one of my favorite childbirth memories (though I did offer it up). As a sort of anesthesiology consolation prize, the anesthesiologist asked if I wanted some straight-up narcotics to “take the edge off.” I told her dump that and every other kind of pain-killing substance she had into my IV. As promised, the “edge” was taken off — along with any other possible care I might have had in the world.

The baby arrived a little bit later around 2:15 and, due to some combination of the narcotics and the grace of God, I didn’t have any of the stress I typically have in the first few hours postpartum. I was just thrilled to meet her and overwhelmed with happiness.

I can’t thank you enough for all of your prayers. When I was going through all the pain after the failed epidural I thought of how many people were praying for me and it really gave me great comfort. Also, my husband and I have both noticed a certain peace that’s come with this baby, even through the inevitable ups and downs of the first few days, and I think that your prayers have a lot to do with that.

I am so impressed with Care Calendar. It’s a free online service that lets people coordinate with one another about bringing someone meals. A dear friend set one up for us, and it’s been so handy to be able to log in and see who’s bringing us what for dinner and when. It’s also helpful to our friends to know when we need meals and what other people have already made. I highly recommend bookmarking it to use next time someone you know needs some help!

Also, I can’t believe how helpful it’s been to have dinner taken care of every night. I knew it would be nice, but I’ve been blown away by just how much it helps us to enjoy this time that we don’t have to think about what to fix for dinner.

Breastfeeding is going amazingly well in terms of pain. In one side the pain is about a 9 on a scale of 1-10 (better than a 10!), but on the other it’s only about a 4! This is unprecedented and unbelievable — I daresay miraculous. I think it’s due in some combination to:

• Your prayers.
  • The Saint Diet. One of the drastic changes I’ve seen in my body since cutting out sugary and processed foods a couple months ago is that I’m less inflamed and sensitive generally.
  • Approaching latch with even greater ninja-like precision than usual.

I still have major low milk supply issues as I have with every other baby, so I’m pumping and taking herbs to deal with that. I’m thrilled that the pain is better though!

New life brings out the weirdest behavior in people. On the one hand, everyone we’ve been around this week has been raving about what a beautiful, precious blessing our new little girl is. On the other hand, more than one person has expressed horror at the idea of future children — I don’t mean something like “it would be difficult to have another one too soon”; I mean if you saw a video of their face you’d think they had just heard about some horrific crime against humanity.

One person asked if we’re done, and when I said we’d like some space but that we almost certainly would have more children eventually, her face contorted into a look of disgust. She leaned forward and asked pointedly, “WHY?!” Yet moments earlier she was wiping a tear out of her eye while gazing at the baby.

I understand people feeling like more children would be too difficult for various reasons, but what puzzles me is the downright vitriolic reaction that some people have to the idea of future kids. Weird.

I am sooooo excited: as soon as we can get out, I’m having my husband take me out for a SUSHI EATING EXTRAVAGANZA. I have been craving sushi for nine months and haven’t been able to eat any of the raw fish, so our next date night (with baby in tow) is going to consist of me eating embarrassing amounts of food at our favorite Japanese restaurant.

(After I wrote this it occurred to me that planning to be gluttonous during Lent is not my most spiritually mature move ever. Hmm. I might need to re-think this plan.)

———————

I look forward to reading your posts!

1. Emily
2. Christi @ The Journey
3. Elizabeth Esther @ Kids, Twins & Laundry Bins
4. Kerry – Ten O\’Clock Scholar: Stuck in Africa!
5. Venite
47. Anne, PalmTree Pundit
48. Denise @ Full Nest
49. Nili
50. Kaycee@In The Moment
51. GiGi Diaz @ Incrementum
52. warillever
53. Amy Jane (Untangling Tales)
54. Salome Ellen
74. Party of Eight
75. Laughing Lioness
76. Eliz at Tink\’s Mom
77. Kathy @ The Political Housewyf
78. So… Now What?
79. Jenny

Powered by… Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.

photo by Alexandre Chang

Comments

1. Emily says

My first Quick Takes! I’m excited that I actually thought of it on a Friday (or at least a late Thursday night…) Thanks, Jen, for hosting. And ‘Joy’ is BEAUTIFUL. Wow–she’s a pretty baby. Congratulations!

2. Christi says

I am so glad that both mom and baby are fine.

Also glad to hear that you aren’t in complete agony. I remember counting the days. I had decided that I could handle it for 2 weeks and if it still hurt, I would quit. Somewhere between day 7 and 14 I would realize it wasn’t too awful anymore.

I don’t think I had it nearly as bad as you though. It was mainly latching on that made me cry.

3. Jasmine says

Your new baby girl looks like an absolute angel. What a precious gift.

It is too bad some can only see the joy in babies who are already on the planet and cannot see the value and joy inherent in those which have yet to be created (or born, but that’s a whole ‘nother topic).

You, baby “Joy,” and the rest of your family are in my prayers.

4. Roxane B. Salonen says

This is the best quick takes yet, with that photo of your beautiful daughter headlining it. Yes, love the comments from well-intending (?) people who go from tickled to horrified when you tell them you are not completely closed to having another. I think somewhere deep inside, they are questioning their own decisions in this realm, and the world has suddenly turned upside down at the moment you reveal your openness to new life.

5. sarah says

She’s so beautiful! There have been many babies in Blogland lately and she’s one of the prettiest I’ve seen. What a darling. Well done!!

And I love that you may be having more children. I would have as many as I could if only I could.

6. Carrien says

she’s beautiful.

I had a conversation like #6 with my brother last week. I told him I am hoping ot at least get to have a fourth and he said, “Why” just like that, like I am committing crimes against the planet by contributing to overpopulation. And then I said that attitude worries me because people start to consider human life less valuable than environmental goals and justify abortion. Which is when I found out that he doesn’t think abortion is necessarily wrong. ANd then I hung up and sobbed on my husband that I don’t know who my brother is anymore. Which is true.

Anyway…Go ahead and have your sushi feast. You just gave birth, a postpartum feast is in order. After all, doesn’t the feast of Annunciation or other feast days trump Lent, at least a little? Isn’t the celebration of a child’s safe birth a reason to feast? Look at me, trying to pretend I know something about Catholicism. It’s late, I babble.

Congrats again on your beautiful baby girl.

7. Serena says

She is beyond cute! Congratulations! I’m so glad breastfeeding is going better than expected! I’m praying for you!

I don’t like sushi, but the second I deliver a baby I NEED me some feta. Oh, it’s amazing!

8. elizabeth says

I had my first induction with my last, and will not even get into the details…I just offer up a quick prayer that you only focus on your of joy πŸ˜‰ — and not dwell on the stupid hospital! (Yeah, I still have issues! ;D)

She’s beautiful!!!

Eii

9. veniteadoremus says

Congratulations! And oh my, she is indeed a beautiful baby. (This is not always the case, and a Dutch comedian has taught me to make appropriate use of the term “sweet baby. Not needed here.)

Have the sushi! Lent is about fasting and feasting, after all, and you can do it while feasting on your husband’s love and being the three of you together. Joy is too young to participate in Lent and she deserves a spoilt nutrition source. I mean mum. (And if you want you can feel guilty about it, very Lent-ey πŸ˜‰ )

10. Mandi says

I’m a new reader of you blog – CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I had to comment on the vitriolic reactions of people to the idea of more kids. We are currently expecting our fourth (our girls are 4, 3 and 1), and we even got that reaction after the birth of our last baby – from people at church, where there are few families with more than 1 or 2 kids.

Life with lots of little ones IS hard, and we are hoping for a gap if we have any more babies (although that plan didn’t work out so well this time), but I think it’s so sad that people can’t even fathom why we would want more.

Anyway, just commiserating, I guess, because I really don’t understand it – even from family members, who are so excited about this baby but 6 months ago were appalled at the idea of more kids and are already talking about making sure it doesn’t happen again.

11. elizabeth says

Oh, wished to share this recipe – shared at another wonderful blog: http://inclotheslinealley.blogspot.com/

Housepoet’s Lactation Cookies

Ingredients:
    1 cup butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    4 tablespoons water
    2 tablespoons flaxseed meal*
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
    1 cup or more chocolate chips
    2 tablespoons of brewers yeast** (be generous)

Directions:
    Preheat oven at 375 degrees F. Mix together 2
    tablespoons of
    flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes.
    Cream (beat
    well) butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix
    well. Stir
    flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the margarine
    mix. Beat
    until blended. Sift together dry ingredients, except
    oats and chips.
    Add to margarine mixture. Stir in oats then chips.
    Scoop or drop
    onto baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment or
    silpat. The
    dough is a little crumbly, so it helps to use a scoop.

Bake 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies.

Serves: 6 dozen cookies

*can be found at any local health food store
    **IT MUST BE BREWERS YEAST, NO SUBSTITUTIONS.

Eii

12. Amy says

Congratulations!! She is beautiful.

I had an epidural that failed on one side with #4. At least it made it somewhat tolerable instead of me wanting to crawl completely out of my skin for 5 hours (I always have back labor for some reason).

So glad breastfeeding pain is better than it was! Praying it goes to 0 soon. I had to chuckle at the thought though that maybe you still had meds in your system from all those narcotics. πŸ˜‰

13. Laura says

I can’t believe I have NEVER been to your blog before. I didn’t know conversion meant CONVERSION…I love converts…there so committed and knowledgable.
    On a bigger and more significant note: CONGRATULATIONS on your new adorable baby.
    So glad I came here.

14. coffeemom says

this is my favorite quick takes friday yet. She is beautiful Jen. Surely, she is “Joy!” Lovely, still praying.

15. The (Almost) Amazing Mammarino says

Congratulations on your beautiful little girl!!!!

I am really ticked at people who have nasty reactions when you say you want to have more children. Children are BLESSINGS and how many children a couple have is a PERSONAL decision!!!! I am absolutely dumbfounded as to why people would be so rude.

Congratulations again! I hope breastfeeding continues to go better and better!

16. Charlotte says

She’s beautiful! Welcome, Joy.

Amen to meals for new moms. I need to check out that resource… Providing meals and nourishment is one of the best ways we can care for each other. Our church community does this well, too. I’m so glad you have people caring for you in this manner.

And, my vote is for you to go out for sushi. You’re giving up sleep for Lent. πŸ™‚

17. happygeek says

Congratulations on your baby.
    She’s beautiful. So glad that everyone is well and healthy.

18. Shelly W says

Oh, Jennifer, Joy is BEAUTIFUL!! Congratulations.

After we had our second daughter, a friend of my husband’s, who happens to be Jewish, said to him, “Well, now you’re done. Right?” And my husband said something kind of like what you said. “Well, we’re not sure we’re done.” He was appalled and gave my husband a speech about being responsible to the earth to not have any more children, yada, yada, yada. That was the first time I had heard someone actually articulate those kinds of thoughts and to me, THAT was appalling.

19. SuburbanCorrespondent says

Congratulations! She’s beautiful!

I mean, so long as you don’t have any more…(wink, wink)

CareCalendar is wonderful – our homeschooling group uses it now – it makes it so easy to schedule meals and other help. Do your kids jump up and down at the front door when someone brings dinner, sounding as though you haven’t fed them in weeks? Mine always did – so embarrassing!

20. Kate says

CONGRATULATIONS, JEN!!! She is beautiful, and I’m so happy to hear you have your sense of humor back so quickly πŸ™‚ I experienced the same reactions after my SECOND was born, just because the girls are close in age. People just don’t get it.

I’ve done quick takes for a while, but this is the first week I’m linking here!

God Bless you!!!

21. Can I Change A Life? says

Congratulations!

It’s too bad some people look horrified that you don’t plan more kids. If it helps any, we’ve only been blessed with one child (and she’s 16, so I highly doubt there will be more) and perfect strangers have let me know that having only one is a selfish act. Thank God you are listening to the voice of One instead of the many.

22. TL. says

Congratulations!
    “Joy to the world, a child is born!”

all the best to your family!!
    And thanks God for good friends who contribute to heartwarming meals!

23. Liz says

You may not really have low milk supply issues, it may be that your baby is just acting like a truly normal baby and nursing really frequently. Sleepy babies sometimes don’t nurse enough at this point, but normal breastfeeding newborns nurse sometimes as much as 14 times a day. It also isn’t unusual for your milk to not come in in full force until day 5 particularly if you’ve had a medicated birth. The thing is that if you’re expecting your baby to go for a long time between feeds (s in two hours or so) and they don’t you may think that you have milk supply problems. Relax (as much as you can) tuck yourself in with that little girl and simply nurse frequently.

I’m sorry for the people who can look at a brand new baby and then be disgusted that you’d want more. Of course, if you see riches in a contemporary sense, I guess all you see are the dollars going out to take care of this baby. The psalmist had a different take. He saw the man as blessed whose quiver was full of children, whose children were like olive shoots around his table. I agree with him, even though we only had two ourselves (I would have loved to have had more and actually wanted at least 5). I’m still hoping for a dozen grandchildren (number 1 arrives in May).

24. KimP says

Beautiful photo, beautiful baby. I am so happpy for you. And I’m glad you got the drugs earlier and often!

25. Funky Kim says

She’s a beautiful child! And I’m so glad you’re boobs are acting better with this child.

To avoid gluttony during Lent, order a modest amount of sushi to go. Then you’ll have to stop when you run out. And make a firm date night for sushi gluttony for Monday, April 13th. Heh.

26. Catherine says

Regarding point 6, I have had that same question. We had our third baby in December, about two weeks before our oldest turned three. So I know that’s a little close in spacing, but I don’t know why it merits the vitriolic responses we’ve gotten from some people. When I’m in the grocery store with the three of them (and they behave very nicely I might add), I often get older ladies giving me audible noises of disgust and saying things like “good grief.” I try to smile serenely but it’s irritating. Oh well!

Congratulations on your beautiful new baby!

27. 'Becca says

I’m so impressed that you’re back online already, and so glad you are getting lots of help from your family and friends, and so glad that breastfeeding is going well! Your baby is adorable. Are the kids still calling her Joy?

#7: Who says you have to approach it as gluttony? Focus instead on appreciating the wonders of God’s creation and the blessings of your life: God created the creatures of the deep and made them tasty! God blessed the human race with memory, reason, and skill, so that the great idea of sushi could be passed from person to person around the world, and the wonders of modern transportation could bring you safe seafood in central Texas! God blessed your family with enough money to afford an occasional lavish meal! God gave you the grace and determination to resist temptation for nine months! Etc. etc. I mean, we’re supposed to put aside alleluias for Lent, but that doesn’t mean we can’t be grateful for anything, and gratitude is a whole lot better than gluttony.

28. Anonymous says

She is beautiful!

Eat the sushie. You deserve it. I believe God would understand. It is not like you are going to do this all the time. The soul needs earthly food and reward also.

Now you have a Christianing/ Baptism to have.

COngratulations!

29. nicole says

She is absolutely beautiful! And just plan to be gluttonous on a Sunday if at all possible. πŸ™‚

30. Kelly the Kitchen Kop says

Jenn, congratulations!!! And I think it’s SO COOL that you want more. πŸ™‚

Laughing out loud at your birth story – sorry, maybe you can’t laugh at it yet! Won’t be long…

Couple things to share. As an “all-natural” kind of person, you wouldn’t think I’d suggest this, but I’m going to anyway: take motrin for breastfeeding pain! I took it around the clock for a few days with our babies and it made the whole experience much better! Just to get you through the “toe-curling” stage.

It’s great that you’re doing the Saint Diet, but to get more milk flow, you need to eat a LOT (especially healthy fats like butter and coconut oil), and drink a lot of water, too. Makes a big difference. Also, check out this link I found: http://www.cheeseslave.com/2008/04/22/low-milk-supply-related-to-iodine-deficiency/

That Care Calendar is SO COOL – can’t wait to try that next time I’m planning meals for someone.

OK, I’m done rambling now. Enjoy your sweet little baby girl. πŸ™‚

Kelly

31. Mary Poppins NOT says

Congratulations! I am anxiously awaiting the birth of my baby girl sometime in the next 10 days or so. Blessings to you and “Joy”.

32. Maria says

So happy you and the baby are doing so well, especially with the breastfeeding! You’ll continue to be in my prayers.

BTW, she is beautiful!

33. Lenae says

Hello! I just found your blog a few weeks ago and have been enjoying it thoroughly! Congratulations on your precious new baby girl- she is beautiful πŸ™‚

34. Rock Star Ma says

Congratulations on the baby! Isn’t “Joy” the name the kids picked? πŸ™‚

35. Beverlydru says

What a beautiful baby. The photo says “God is Perfect”. I rejoice with you.

36. Jennifer in TX says

Hi Jen,
    This is my first Quick takes, too. Many congratulations on the birth of your sweet baby girl. Prayers for the best babymoon ever!

37. Anonymous says

She is beautiful and you have brought another child into this world who will live for all eternity! Talk about a good day’s work.
    I’m so glad the breastfeeding is going better than usual, but my prayer will continue that it be pain free.

For over 40 years Americans have been barraged by anti-child propaganda and Christians have absorbed and now regurgitate the message too. One of Chesterton’s buddies once said that it is easy to be blind to an evil – as long as the evil is big enough. Spritually blind, propagandized people need lots of prayer to see the Truth and their own ridiculous contradictions. Judy

38. Baroquem says

Congratulations, and that really is a beautiful picture.

(Yup, highly original, that’s me….)

39. Jessica says

She’s beautiful, Jen! congratulations!

and my eldest has started asking me, “why do they say that?” when I get the regular query of, “are they all yours?”

I tell her that most people just have two kids, and we are very blessed.

40. Josephene says

Oh Jennifer! CONGRATULATIONS!

PLEASE have your sushi celebration dinner. Rejoice with your husband and baby and God with mouthfuls of raw fish.

Have you tried de- or non-alcoholic beer for lactation?

Be well.

41. Elizabeth says

Joy is precious. How could you not have more? Congratulations!

I am doing 7 Quick Takes for the first time, so hopefully I did it right. Thanks for hosting!

42. Joy says

Congratulations to you and your family.
    ‘Joy’ is beautiful, and I’m glad breastfeeding going well.

Enjoy your sushi, pregnancy was your time in the desert, it now time for a mini Easter to celebrate the return of foods you gave up.

43. truthfinder says

Growing up as I did in a Protestant home, there was a little Sunday School song I learned. Though I’m now Catholic, it still works:
    “Jesus and Others and You,
    What a wonderful way to spell Joy…”
    Congratulations!!! Prayers will continue. (By the way, the world is becoming UNDERPOPULATED.) πŸ™‚ Rosemary

44. Julie D. says

CONGRATULATIONS!

With a stunning lack of originality I must say that she is absolutely beautiful. However, then you know we’re all saying it because it is absolutely true. πŸ™‚

45. T with Honey says

I’m one of those weird moms that think most newborns are not cute but this little girl? Definitely cute.
    Thanks for sharing!!!

46. Tara Sz. says

Jen – I agree with Charlotte. Eat the sushi and offer up the sleep! Congatulations on the healthy birth of “Joy,” she is breathtaking. And don’t worry about the people who are appalled at having more that one or two. Pretty soon they will have bred themselves out of existence and the world will be a happier, pro-life place. πŸ™‚

BLESSINGS!!

47. Katie says

She’s beautiful! And so teeny! Congratulations πŸ™‚

I got a lot of hassle from my family after our third daughter was born. My granny asked me if I was getting my tubes tied and I said no and she gave me that disgusted look and said “Why not?” (and she had 7 kids!) One of my other aunts pushed the tube tying too, and even some person I went to school with that I ran into told me to get my tubes tied.

I’m glad breastfeeding is going better this time!

48. Nili says

My first Quick Takes, I’ve been reading your blog for a while…Congratulations on the birth of your sweet Joy! I am 5 weeks from due date and can’t wait for Sushi Night myself!

49. Denise says

Congratulations!!! Joy is a BEAUTIFUL baby!!! I have 6 kids and have gotten all sorts of negative reactions anytime I admit we are open to more. Our oldest is 21 (married with his own baby) & our current youngest will be 2 in May. I'm 42, but really hoping that we will be blessed at least once more.

I shared the link for the CareCalendar with the meal coordinator for the young families group at our church, it looks like a wonderful resource.

Your family remains in our prayers, I'm so glad things are going better than you had anticipated.

50. Amy Jane (Untangling Tales) says

CareCalendar! What a *cool* idea! (Is it a bad thing to judge originality by whether I would have thought of something, or wish I’d thought of something?)

Many congrats!

51. Salome Ellen says

Thanks for hosting even with a newborn. And yay for prayers working! (Um, I guess thst means yay for people who actually pray. . . ;-D )

52. Kris says

Congratulations to your family on your *beautiful* new baby! She’s gorgeous.

I know what you mean about people’s comments. We only have three and my own mil said to a virtual stranger one day that she certainly hoped we weren’t going to have anymore.

I seriously considered one more if for no other reason than to spite that woman. Surely, there’s a good Biblical names that means, “to spite my mil.” πŸ˜‰

53. Bethany says

This is my first comment! Thank you for the care calendar website. My friend just had her baby on Wed at 32 weeks, and he was diagnosed with Down’s yesterday. I’ve already set her up on care calendar this morning, and we will do updates on that site rather than starting a Caring Bridge site also. Thank you so much for the recommendation- perfect timing.

54. Scarlett says

Jen, she’s absolutely gorgeous. One of the prettiest babies I think I’ve ever seen! Congratulations! As for sushi, I’d suggest either feasting on a Sunday or having a moderate sushi date night on a Friday. Maybe not 100% in the spirit of fasting, but you have to celebrate the birth of your little girl (even though it’s Lent!). Do you mind if I ask how (and if) you responded to the woman who asked “WHY?!” you would ever want to have another? I’m thinking something along the lines of “Well, we think the next one would be as beautiful and bring as much joy as this one, and why wouldn’t we want to contribute a little more joy and beauty to the world?” would be appropriate, but that’s probably easier said than done.

55. Stephanie says

What a beautiful little girl! Looks just like a baby doll in that photo.

A big congrats to you and your fam!

56. Marianne Thomas says

Oh, she’s beautiful. And such a little thing! (All mine are 8lbs-9 lbs).

I’ll post up my 7QT later – I do love the chance to do these every week as well as skim everyone else’s. Fun and easy Friday!

Oh, and one of the best comebacks lines I’ve heard (I think I read it on a blog?) about having more kids was, “We feel it’s our moral duty to improve the gene pool.”

Zinger!

Blessings to all of you!!

57. Anonymous says

From a reader who has received many blessings and a greatly increased faith from reading your blog, please accept my prayers for you, your new baby, and your whole family.

58. Lana says

I was all set to see a little squished newborn face with a cone shaped head, but now I don’t even have to lie: that baby is GORGEOUS! I can tell you are so happy.

#6: I think more and more folks are going to criticize couples who choose to welcome many children with an ever-deteriorating environment.
    #7 go out on a Sunday if you want!

59. Melanie B says

I can’t get over how beautiful she is!

After posting that sushi picture you had better go eat a bunch of it, Lent or no Lent. I still have 4 months to go until I can have my sushi fest. So I’ll do the fasting and you do the feasting. You have quite a bit to celebrate and after all you’ve had to offer up, you deserve it.

Glad to hear the breastfeeding pain is less this time around. I’ve also read that eating oatmeal is good for improving milk supply. And it would be Saint Diet friendly, I believe.

60. Kingdom Mama says

What a gorgeous baby!!

I know, you’d think we were going ask for money, or babysitters! It’s so weird that people would care SO MUCH about good people having more kids.

And I’m right with you on the sushi, although I might have cheated once or twice already.;)

61. Bridget says

God is good! Joy is a perfect picture of health, a job well done.

Herb of Grace mentioned yeast, and I have to say, my thoughts went there as I read your description of the pain… I experience the same thing everytime. If it is, baby could have it in her mouth (called thrush) and you could both be giving it back and forth. The lack of sugar and simple carbs you’ve had in your diet would make the pain less this time, but it will still cause trouble. It’s simple to diagnose and easy to treat, so please mention this to either your pediatrician or your ob/midwife.
    I wasn’t sure what it was the 1st time and suffered through it. The next 2 times, with treatment, were like night and day! No need to suffer through this.

God Bless you and your BEAUTIFUL family.

62. Elizabeth says

Congratulations!
    When I had #3, a friend was expecting her third as well, she was getting all those, "why ruin the perfect family" questions…
    She asked if my friends asked those questions…I told her that my friends (with 5,6,7,9 &12 children) were wondering when I would catch up!!!
    Some people will NEVER get it, some need to be "shown the light"!
    So glad that nursing is a little easier this time. I will continue to pray for you and you whole "joyful" family!
    Thanks for the link…we will use it the next time our homeschool group has a baby boom!
    BTW, is raw fish OK when you are breastfeeding? Just asking, I'm in the dark on this one…it is not on my list of "gotta haves".
    Blessings, Elizabeth

63. Aubrey says

Congratulations on your beautiful little girl! It always surprises me when people fawn over the children that I have and then think I’m crazy when I express a desire for more. Are they really listening to themselves? πŸ™‚ We’ll keep praying for open hearts and minds! Children are wonderful.

64. Kate Wicker says

I am so thankful I stopped by and saw pictures of your beautiful angel today and had the chance to read all about your birth story. God bless you and your growing family.

p.s. If any breastfeeding problems do arise (I hope they don’t!), remember my mom-in-law is an amazing lactation consultant who is always eager to help my friends – virtual or otherwise.

65. Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) says

Your daughter is beautiful, and if you are led to have more, then go for it!

I’ve been reading your blog with interest lately because you have lots of small children and want to have more. I have lots of small children (three under age four) and I’m not at all sure that I would be a good mother to more. So I think your thoughts are interesting and perhaps offer some balance to my own turmoil of confusion. πŸ™‚

66. Tami Boesiger says

Congratulations!

And hey, I’m impressed–a new baby, narcotics, three other little ones, sleep deprivation and STILL a coherent post. I dub you Super Blogger.

67. Tracy says

what a lovely baby! congratulations on her safe healthy arrival and blessings for a life filled with the joy of the Lord.

68. Hairline Fracture says

She is beautiful! Congratulations on your new blessing.

People never cease to amaze me with their rudeness. What difference could it possibly make to them how many children you have?

69. Elena says

She is gorgeous!

I think when you’re breastfeeding it’s okay to indulge a little, even during lent!

70. Leticia says

Welcome little Joy, what a perfect name for such a little cherub!
    My name means joy in Latin.

For the pain, you have two options: drink a couple sips of wine, or pray the Hail Mary as she latches on. I chose A and B.

71. Brandi says

Hi Jenn,
    I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I find your blog so compelling as I am in the process of converting right now. I took Alpha last year and am now in RCIA and will be receiving my sacraments at the Easter vigil this year. It has been a beautiful journey and I can’t wait to see what God has in store for me down the road.

Your daughter is just gorgeous, congratulations and blessings.

Brandi

72. Roxane B. Salonen says

I’ve wanted to do this for a while now and finally took the time to post “quick” takes. (Maybe not as quick as I’d hoped.) Thanks for the opportunity to make another connection.

73. Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) says

Congratulations on your beautiful new daughter! May you enjoy these special first days together!

God Bless,
    Jane

74. Christine says

Congratulations Jen! “Joy” is beautiful and am so glad that you are doing well and baby is nursing well.

75. Charlotte (Matilda) says

Congrats! She is beautiful! Enjoy your precious time alone with her!

76. Anonymous says

Hi, Jen — glad the prayers are working – you’ve been a nice distraction for me.

Actually, Catholics can ‘feast’ on Sundays during Lent. That is the day of the Lord’s Resurrection and should always be a day to celebrate! During the Council of Granga in the 400’s, it was against Church law to fast on Sundays. If you were found fasting on Sundays, it was a grave sin. St. Jerome greatly regretted that during his lifetime, he could not fast on Lenten Sundays. But that’s Jerome for you. So — you’re good to go with sushi on any Sunday. (I teach RCIA, btw in So Cal.)

77. Lisa says

Super, super congratulations.
    I think a lot of the bf pain we had was undiagnosed mild (but very painful) thrush — once we cut out white flour and sugar the thrush had a much harder time of it. Hopefully, you will breeze through feeding this time!

78. annabenedetti says

What an absolutely beautiful little angel. Joyful congratulations to you! May God abundantly bless you and your growing family with every necessary grace.

79. Eliz says

Congratulations on that most beautiful baby! I’m so sorry that your lower-case J joy was ruined by those remarks. Your family will be an example and a blessing to many, many people. You may not always know it, but you will change minds and lives.

80. politicalhousewyf says

Congratulations, Jen and family! I pray you have a smooth transition with your older kids. When our son came home, people asked how his big sister (just under two) was doing. “Oh, she loves him to death,” we said. That’s great, they said. “Yeah, but we aren’t sure he’ll survive all the loving!”

She’s adorable! And aren’t pregnant moms exempt from Lenten regulations, anyways? Shouldn’t that include nursing moms? I’ll add my vote for the sushi feast!

81. Mary Beth says

Oh my goodness Joy is a lovely, pretty baby. I’m so happy for you and your family. God keep you all in His care.
    Congratulations!

82. Anonymous says

Congratulations!! God Bless your family, especially the new baby.

Tom in South Jersey

83. Kiwi Nomad 2008 says

Welcome to baby Joy, and congrats to the whole family who will watch her grow.

84. Chris and Sarah says

she is beautiful! also, I do not think you should feel bad about the planned Sushi binge. First, fish is okay on Fridays for Lent (I think it is Fridays – this might be more Lutheran than Catholic), so just go on Friday and anyways, God is so gracious – He will certainly forgive a post pregnancy binge on a pregnancy banned food! I personally binged on OJ after my pregnancy!

85. Shylock says

Congratulations on the new baby! She looks absolutely precious and perfect. Very happy for you.

I have just started my own blog and posted the link, without realizing that this is only for the 7 quick takes Friday, which I did not do, and it is already Saturday! My apologies…

God bless you and your bountiful spirit!

86. Amy says

Congrats on the new baby and she is really beautiful. I just got going on my blog so I might try the 7 quick takes next week if you are up to having it!! Thanks for your great blog and perspective on your Faith.

87. Martha says

I just had a baby too (on Ash Wednesday!) and I noticed how everytime I have given birth, some hospital staff member tells me I am done. (this was baby number 4; she's great, but according to one L&D nurse, I am now done.) Why? Why do total strangers think I need their input on this???? Anyway, you're not the only one who gets it. Congratulations!

88. Anonymous says

Elizabeth – dittos to this statement:
    “Fairly new reader to your most astounding writing! Blessings to you and your dear Joy, and family! Keep multiplying! πŸ˜‰ If I had to do it over – I would have one every 15mos!”
    Mandi – Say it!
    ‘I told my husband the other day that the comeback I always want to use (but never do) is, “With kids this great, why wouldn’t I want more?”‘
    I copied and pasted this, because I realized this after surgical sterilization.
    I realize now, that those who don’t understand the joy of children, don’t know what real happiness in life is.
    Joy – What a beautiful name!

89. Anonymous says

Awwww, such a sweet little one! I’m so glad that you’re all doing so well. I was on retreat at a convent last week – far far from a computer – and I was hoping and praying that the birth went well for you and the babe. It was great to turn on my computer when I returned last night and see little “Joy” on my Google Reader!
    Nancy/n.o.e.

90. daffy-maiden says

Ohh, she is so gorgeous and radiant! And you have wicked photography skills! πŸ™‚ And you are so awesome and selfless.

People are just like that. “Children,” in the abstract, are terrifying, but a child who’s right in front of them is the greatest miracle. *shrugs*

91. Beth/Mom2TwoVikings says

Just wanted to add my congratulations! What an angel! God’s blessings – and His strength – as you get through these first few week of “mommy hazing”!

LOL My comment moderation word is “undrop” – wonder what that means! LOL

92. Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller says

Congratulations on a beautiful new addition! I also cringe when people make comments on how this must be our last one. My 4th child is now 2 1/2. I don’t know what God has in store for us. That is pretty much what I usually answer.

93. Courageous Grace says

Congratulations, she is so beautiful! Still keeping you in my prayers because I know the first few weeks are always a bit rough as you get settled with this precious new life.

I suggest doing your Sushi extravaganza on a Sunday (if price permits) since Sundays during Lent can be considered feast days. Also, the 25th of March is the Annunciation (I think?), perfect day for a Feast!

94. Larger Family Life says

Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful new daughter. May you be blessed many times more.

Tania (expecting number eight and another who doesn’t understand the vitriolic reactions either)

95. cheryl says

Oh, I am so thrilled she’s finally arrived and that Mom and baby are healthy and safe!

96. April says

I just clicked over from another blog and read that you have four kiddos and looking at the dates I was surprised to see that we had our babies on the same day March 2nd, 2009 they were the 4th addition to our families both baby girls and named Joy! How funny is that!?!

Our Joy has been such a blessing to us, as I'm sure yours has too. I enjoy your writings especially the one I just read about how the Lord used your children to bring you to faith in Him. Our children are blessings in that they do take us to a place where we have to depend on Him to make this work and we get to see a clearer picture of His love for us.