Iโ€™m writing a book!

As many of you know, last summer I signed a contract with a literary agent to write a book based on the subject matter as this blog. People in the know have been telling me that I need to do a better job of getting the word out about it. You would think that the fact that I don’t even have a publisher would make it a little too early to worry about such things, but those who are familiar with the industry tell me it’s never too early to start panicking about book marketing. So I’m creating this post to leave as a perma-link on my sidebar to let new readers know to look out for a book from me sometime in the next few years.

Some basic info about the book I’m writing

• It’s a memoir about my conversion to Christianity after a life of atheism. Highlights include what it was like to be a child atheist living in the Bible belt; the reasons I became convinced that God exists; and my struggles with the Catholic teaching on contraception during a dangerous, high-risk pregnancy.
  • I am represented by Ted Weinstein Literary Management.
  • I finished the first draft in summer 2009, and thought I was close to done. Then I realized that I had to rewrite the whole thing.
  • I finished the rewrite in November of 2010. I’m now incorporating feedback suggested by my agent. After I finish that, we’ll begin to talk to publishers.

I would love to get your feedback

Another reason I wanted to write this post was to create a place for feedback. For those of you who might be interested in a book of this type, what questions would you hope it would answer? How would you want it to be similar to/different from the blog? Any topics you’d find particularly interesting? Obviously I might not be able to incorporate every suggestion, but I will certainly consider each one! Any thoughts you’d care to offer would be very much appreciated.

Comments

1. Lana says

I was just thinking today about your book and how one commenter awhile back said that things wouldn’t get easier as the kids get older. I really do not agree. My youngest is 2 and things are much, much easier than when I had 3 under age 3. I simply have more energy, if my “free” time (meaning, alone time to do things like write) is still very limited.

In terms of what I would be interested in reading about: how you have come to terms with your changing relationships post-conversion. I imagine that some are now strained, some non-existent, and others are one-dimensional. I mean with those who do not understand, and those who do not approve.
    We could all use a little encouragement, and just knowing of someone else’s journey can help.

I can’t wait for the book! Happy writing.

2. Erin says

Hey Jennifer. ๐Ÿ™‚

It’s late and I should be sleeping, but I feel restless tonight so I started wandering around in blog world and stumbled across your site. It seems so familiar as if I’ve been here before. You have such an amazing and inspiration testimony of faith! I have yet to find the strength to write about my own spiritual journey. Maybe one day..

Anyway, just thought I’d say hi! Would love for you to visit my little corner of the world at http://www.theolivetreecommunity.blogspot.com

Many blessings, Erin

3. Jen M. says

I’m so glad you’re writing a book! You are a very natural apologist. Together with your background, I think many people will enjoy your writing in book form, as they already do in blog form. ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck!

4. Suzywoozy says

I would love to read and lend a book which has some of your reflections on simple Catholic truths you’ve been nourished by… like your posts on’offering it up’ and ‘Accepting God’s will’ etc.. opening up and illuminating spiritual truths that some of us Catholics don’t give much thought or importance to anymore..

5. Multiple Mom T says

How about: Having ultimately made the decision to be Catholic, have you ever given protestantism any thoughts? And if so, what are those thoughts?

6. Kerry says

I’d especially be interested to read why you chose Catholcism vs other Christian denominations. I think you’ve covered that on your blog, but I think it would be a valuable part of your book!

7. jrbaab says

For me – there are two, perhaps equally important, qualities I would hope for in your book. One is for cradle catholics, like myself, in which we can receive insight into the world of atheism. So many of us don't know how to confront our atheist or agnostic friends and because of this, when we try, we often fail to preach the gospel in an effective way. Secondly, it should be a book for atheists, something that attracts them. I hope that it can be a book that will entice them to continue reading and exploring. This may only be possible for those atheists who are open, I'm not sure. You are an incredibly gifted writer with special knowledge of both realities (atheism & christendom) that most catholics do not have but want and most atheists do not know of but need to be exposed to. Through the gift of the story of your journey with God, I am sure this can happen. I will pray for you and your writing. God be with you.

8. Christine the Soccer Mom says

What would I like in a book?

That YOU write it! Please be sure to work in how you manage to find blessing in scorpions, because that will help me deal with spiders here in Virginny. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Seriously, if you get published, I am SO buying a copy of the book. RIGHT AWAY. And when you tour Southwest Virginia on your book tour, you and the family have to come over for dinner. (If it’s in summer, we’ll go swimming and let the men cook with fire.)

I can’t wait, Jen. You can’t imagine how much your blog helps me on my spiritual journey.

9. 'Becca says

A common problem with memoirs of the “I used to be X, but now I am Y” type is that the author attempts to battle cognitive dissonance by bashing X and everything associated with it, in order to bolster the superiority of Y. This only “works” for the reader who already agrees with Y; the reader who agrees with X feels insulted and throws down the book and tells all her friends how dumb it is. You want to avoid that, in hopes that atheists who read your book will find your reasoning compelling instead of brushing you off as a brainwashed holy-roller.

So, I think you have to go deep into your memories of the most fundamental values you learned as a child and how they worked for you. Leave aside the cracks where doubt crept in, and focus first on the way that worldview looked and felt when it seemed to be basically whole and solid, when it was the only view you knew. Make it real for the reader, make it believable that an intelligent person could live with it, *before* you start crumbling it. That’s what makes the story most effective.

Along those lines, one of the things I find unsettling about your blog is that you almost never mention your parents’ reaction to your conversion. They raised you with the values they believed to be best, and you rebelled but in an unconventional direction–so how do they feel about that, and how have you handled telling them, basically, “I know you meant well, but everything you taught me was wrong”?

10. Maureen says

How about some thoughts on having come into the Church and seeing the warts of Her members up close and personal and how that has impacted your journey. I see our Church as a hospital for sinners but seeing the vast ICU and how crowded it is can be disheartening.

11. Anonymous says

I have several atheist friends, two of them among the most generous people I know. Knowing them as well as I do, I can’t understand how people can function so well without the sacraments, particularly the sacraments of penance and the Holy Eucharist.

Marx dubbed religion the opiate of the people. I get it! I actually get kinda “funny” and get a bit “off my stride” if I miss too many masses during the week. (My life circumstances make it easy for me to get to mass daily, which is not true of others: it’s a wonderful gift that God has given me and I am deeply appreciative.) So, in a very real way, the sacraments are utterly necessary for me.

I also wonder: do atheists feel any real lack? I assume they do, but don’t know it until later when they’ve been (to borrow a phrase) Surprised by Joy. But what about those who never come to a belief in God? What about those who simply look foward to an abyss of nothing and nothingness? Several of my atheist friends intend simply to commit suicide when/if life becomes untenable as they define it. They’re very clear on this point — and I believe them.

Suzywoozy offered good suggestions. I second them. For example, years ago I had a friend (now deceased) who was a convert. He finally told me that he didn’t understand what I meant when I would suggest that he (or I) “offer up” some trial. I think a lot of “Catholic” things are strange to outsiders unless they’re well-explicated. If you were to list the top five beliefs (or the like) that were particularly hard to understand/accept and then explain how you finally came to understand and accept them, that it would be very helpful.

If (and as) I think of other things, I’ll pass them on.

~ Nona

12. Anonymous says

For me, it is your way of simplifying things. Suddenly I’ll feel so that is what is being said and why didn’t I think of that.

I’ll be interested in reading it to become closer to my religion. Short of rosary, short prayer, and Mass there is so much more. You have a way of saying it isn’t complicated and it can be done.

13. Solveig says

I’ve long held a theory that reason does not draw atheists to God. Reasoned arguments are so often built on concepts that aren’t rational or irrational–they’re just part of the person’s foundation. (Christians do the same–we built our Christian arguments on concepts that are already in place and then wonder why they don’t make sense to a non-Christian.

So, I want to know if you experience supports as much. What drew you to Christ? Was it a well-thought argument or was it something deeper than thinking? I’m inclined to think it was being drawn to the life of God in another–as you shared in a post about a college prank–but I’ll be interested in seeing what you share. And I’m especially interested in seeing how the two approaches intersect–because I’m not rejecting reason. I just think it’s over-rated.

And blessings on your motherhood! It’s the ultimate adventure.

14. Tres Angelas says

Many of your posts are hilarious. Many are profound. The very best are both. I hope the book is like that.

When you combine your irreverent sense of humor with your reverence for God you create something rare and powerful.

There are numerous books on religion published every year. They tend to be either stilted and doctrinaire or a bit shallow and overwrought.

With all due respect for the authors, most popular Christian writing falls into the latter category. It is almost unreadable. It’s really not a good thing when a book makes me roll my eyes every few paragraphs — especially when I’m in basic agreement with the content!

Your prose is pretty unique. Keep doing what you’re doing.

15. Jenelle says

Jen – I found your blog through a Catholic friend, she sends links to entries that she thinks I would benefit from. In any case, I think your book would be great. I know you get many comments/emails but I thought I would add to them to say that my blog might offer some resources as well if people are asking for a second opinion, or another personal story on nfp.

16. Kaycee says

Jennifer, as someone who is going through my own conversion I love the posts about your thought process during your conversion and the series of events that lead to you eventually becoming Catholic.

Because of your background you have the ability to reach out to non-believers and people who, like me, are still on the fence.

17. Kristen J says

Hi, Jennifer! The book is a great idea; may God bless your effort. Count me as one who also will rush-out to buy it and who would come to any signing in the Fresno-area! ๐Ÿ™‚

I would be interested in reading about the practical, on-the-ground differences in how one approaches life as an atheist, and then as a faithful Catholic. For example, how did you deal with setbacks/depression as an atheist and how is that different now? How did you look at career then v. now? Even, how was your “average day” then different from now? (Feel free to laugh hysterically at the idea of an “average day”; I, too, am now a Mom of four under four… ๐Ÿ™‚ ) You get the idea. ๐Ÿ™‚

18. Anonymous says

I hope you write a very personal book. Your conversion story is so compelling because of what you experienced in having your heart opened. Focus on the experiences over the intellectual struggle. As others have posted, there is still alot we don’t know about you. I’m curious about how you and your husband came to faith together. This could not have been a linear conversion where you both leapt in head first at the same time. I’d like to hear some of the struggles that occurred between you. Who was going too fast for the other? What parts of the secular world did he want to hold onto, etc.

19. Kacie says

As an evangelical who would be very interested to read a book like the one you’re writing, I have a couple of things that would really catch my interest. One is simply HOW someone moves from unbelief to belief. Since I was raised in a believing family I simply don’t know what that looks like, and the conversions that I see are usually from other religions rather than from agnosticism or atheism. Seeing how God moves your heart is a beautiful thing.

The other question, which you have also addressed on this blog, is what drew you particularly to the Catholic church. Once you were open to the possibility of there being a God, what drew you to Catholicism?

20. Anonymous says

Everything that Becca said
    including the ” mystery” of your
    parents’ reaction.
    Is it a topic that does not come up?
    Is it tiptoed around?
    brothers and sisters? their reactions..
    any pre-conversion thinking that is difficult to transform?
    objectively relate a typical day as an atheist: concerns, dreams, thoughts about final things: death, afterlife..non-existent..
    how did you explain your bad choices ( sin) and their effects on others? the nature of atheist compassion/empathy..is it even possible?
    deep down feelings of isolation/aloneness/lack of deep connection and bond with fellow humans.. view of fellow humans down deep: enemy? comrade? rival?
    the pride/cynicism/scoffing/disdain/bitterness anger etc etc.
    In short, DON’T RUSH the book.
    If you do, it won’t be the gem I am hoping it will be.

21. ABBEY says

Gurl, do we need to tawk! I have started my own book twice. I have posted a lot of chapters on my blog both the first stab and the second, and I am grippling with coming completely clean to the entire world. I’m wondering, do you have things that you’d rather your children or family NOT know, things that you did that were less than moral? That is my problem. I confessed those sins a long time ago and I get to the point that I need to talk about them in the book so the reader knows WHY this is so important, but I run against a brick wall. I’d love any advice you can give me. And I pray that you will forge ahead with your own story, may the Lord be with you all the way.

Blessings,
    Abbey

p.s. generic email is abbey_rd99@yahoo.com

22. Martha says

Some interesting (to me, anyway) questions to ponder:

1) Why is Atheism so much more common in Europe, New England, and California? What is it about those cultures?

2) The Theodicy problem, or something like it, is an insurmountable obstacle to most Atheists. Even the Gospel does not provide a big enough answer.

3) I suspect that it is important to know what religion an Atheist DOESN’T believe in. That depends on where they were raised. Are they distancing themselves from Islam, Evangelical Christianity, or Catholicism, for example?

4) Are Atheists raised by other Atheists different from Atheists raised by religious people? Do the latter have a less relativistic value system?

I’m looking forward to a more comprehensive version of your blog, more back story, and no need to jump around (unavoidable in the blog format.) Most of the “Conversion to Catholicism” stories I read are by men who started out as Evangelical Protestants and changed to being Catholic. Rarely do I read about anyone, let alone a woman, who was a skeptic about religion in general.

23. John says

I look forward to reading your book! One thing that would be interesting to me (as a cradle Catholic) would be to hear what you gave up. Hearing stories on the Coming Home Network or anything like that… the converts knew they’d be losing a lot if they converted. For an older example, take John Henry Newman. He knew he’d lose his friends, his academic career, and much more if he became Catholic.

Maybe I should ask it this way: how conscious were you of the weight of your decision?

God bless you!
    John

24. Anonymous says

Jen:

I am very much looking forward to your book. You explain so many aspects of Catholicism in such a beautiful and simple way. You’ve already received a lot of good advice, and I don’t know that I could add much to it. I’d say just be honest about both the dark episodes (perhaps things that you might have done that you’re ashamed of) in your life and how your conversion experience has changed you. Your honesty and open-ness adds so much to your writing.

I’m looking forward to seeing your journey in a more linear way. I’ve only come to your blog in the past year or so, and it will be interesting for me to read about your entire journey of faith with further detail and with experiences we may not have heard about yet.

I’ll be praying for you!

Jen G

25. momof2boyz says

I would definitely be interested in learning, as would other readers, about why you never considered any other denominations. Did you ever explore Anglicanism? I was raised Roman Catholic, and have come to appreciate many aspects of that faith. However, I vociferously disagree about many points of Catholic doctrine. I graduated from a conservative Catholic high school after almost failing religion, because I refused to learn about Natural Family Planning. I swore off ALL religion until my late twenties, when my husband and I became Episcopalians. Seventeen years later, I still love my adopted church, and have come to realize that the Roman Catholic tradition contains much beauty. Did you ever visit any Episcopal churches?

26. Melanie B says

When I first found your blog I was so very caught up in the story. I went back and read all the Reluctant Atheist posts in order from oldest to newest and especially the comment sections. I hope you manage to capture some of the flavor of that drama of watching each step unfold and especially the interactions with Steve G. and other commenters. I have to say at first reading Steve G’s comments was one of the things that really drew me.

27. Anonymous says

Jen,

I would like to see you include some of the more profound and thought-provoking comments you have received on your blog as they relate to topics in the book. I have to consider my computer an “occasion to sin” as far as the time I spend (not intereacting with my kids) while devouring your blog and others and all the fabulous comments that often lead to new blogs and more comments…. So many excellent blogs, so little time!

God bless,
    Jan in NoVa

28. eulogos says

I have to admit that I am envious. Why couldn’t I have written an conversion story? People have told me I should, but I never did.

Suggestions…yes, do try to get back into the mind of atheism and write it so that you won’t turn unbelievers off…although, honestly, I think few of them read convert stories. People considering it might, but not your, “of course there is no God, don’t be ridiculous” folks.

My parents were full of put downs of various sorts, my father sort of sneaky offensive, my mother dryly snarky, and this never ended. The only nice thing my mother said, not directly about religion, but about children, is that after seeing how much her friends wanted the grandchildren that never came, she had decided she would rather have a dozen (9 of mine 3 of my sister’s) than none. But that was a while in coming. People would want to hear about your parents, but only you know what the family situation can handle.

Was there anything difficult for you to give up? I think that if I hadn’t been already married, I wouldn’t have been able to face the idea of giving up sex until and unless I found someone to marry. I really had to come to a very very low point before I acknowledged that I didn’t know what was the way to live, but THIS was not the way to live.

Did you ever get close and draw back? It was chilling to hear my father say sneeringly, “I had an intellectual flirtation with Catholicism when I was very young” .. and more chilling to know that I nearly wound up being a person who would say that. As one priest said to me, “God really zapped you with grace.” Did you have those “zap” moments? One woman I knew said she was puzzling over a question about Christianity as she walked along the streets of Paris, when her foot hit against a book lying open on the street. She picked it up and found that it was a copy of CS Lewis’ Mere Christianity, open to the page where he discussed that very issue.

Try not to be embarrassed to reveal the dumb things you thought on the way. I remember feeling that the phrase ‘Mother of God’ just couldn’t be right, how could anyone be the mother of God? And I wrote it in my journal too. I even expressed my Protestant conditioned (from a few years of Dutch Reform Sunday school as a very young child) preference for crosses over crucifixes. I find what I wrote then, and the positive way I put what I thought at the time, to be quite embarrassing. But it is just such things which show the process of conversion.

I for one will buy and read your book!

29. Anonymous says

Hi Jen,

I am definitely going to buy your book! I’m so excited that you’ve decided to write your story.

I would ask, as a former athiest who converted to Catholicism and is now doing apologetics, do you find yourself talking to other athiests about conversion only if they approach you first (aka, are open)? Do you ever try to initiate a conversation about conversion with an athiest, or do you assume that if they aren’t asking they aren’t interested? Have you ever had a conversation about conversion with an athiest who was open and had them decide against conversion in the end? What do you think is the turning point in terms of an athiest, particularly an anti-Catholic athiest, becoming Catholic?

The Pope has already answered this question for me, I think, but I’d be interested in hearing what you think especially combined with your own experience.

30. EandE says

I know that all the ladies in my Catholic book club will want to buy your book. We all read your blog and often comment how nice it would be to sit around and have coffee with you while all are kids run around. I’m a cradle Catholic, but have only come to know my faith over the past decade. What I like about your writing is that you have a great way of writing about the faith in a very succinct, accessible fashion. Its all in a nut shell, and that all many of us have time for. I can’t wait to read your book.

31. Nancy/n.o.e says

Jen, I love to read a book where the organization reflects in the arrangement of chapters, kind of like each chapter is its own essay (10 to 15 pages). The book could be linear/chronological narrative, but not necessarily; thematic can be a powerful structure also. (eg. Kathleen Norris based her book on the Liturgical Year. I also enjoyed Eamon Duffy’s book Faith of our Fathers, which are shortish essays about his Catholic faith)

I’m not concerned about what you say or what topics you address – I know that the book will be wonderful and thorough and insightful. Oh, and well-written! That’s a given for you.

32. Jim T. says

Hereโ€™s my comment. I heard a Sister on The Journey Home, talking about her conversion. She just started walking out of town. She didnโ€™t mind the traffic lights or cars. She walked until she got a sign. Her story was so moving to me because I started walking too. Actually I started pedaling my bike and I did look for cars but I wasnโ€™t coming back until I got some communication from the Big Daddy Himself.

33. Elizabeth Mahlou says

You have a naturally easy writing style that reaches people. I am glad that you have made the decision to write a book. Don’t worry about finding a publisher. Your agent will do that for you — and can also guide you, along with the ultimate publisher, into the best final format and content for the book. Keep writing, as you do, with your heart, and I am sure you will have — and help — many readers. As for marketing, you may not realize it, but you have already started marketing. Your blog, and its readers, are the best kind of marketing there is: word of mouth.

One suggestion I can make that has helped me with the dozen or so books I have written is to have people read all or portions of the pre-publication manuscript and give you feedback. It won’t necessarily prevent venemous post-publication comments from folks like “happy heathens” whose animosity is to be expected (I have run into that). It will, however, reveal where readers may have trouble following your narrative. Memoirs are hard to write because you know 100% of the history and therefore can miss places where there may be gaps in information for readers. Pre-publication readers can quickly point out these areas.

Good luck to you!

34. lvschant says

There is only one confirmed atheist in my extended family that I am aware of… but it is so very difficult for my sibling who is married to this person, I am hoping your book will give ideas on appealing to people like that in an effective way.

My sibling is attempting to raise the children as Catholics, but is constantly running up against subtle resistance from the spouse. Most recently, the oldest child asked why the atheist parent didn’t believe in the existence of God and the answer was something about any (supposedly Divinely inspired)book, i.e. the Bible, should have held more scientific clues to prove to the technically oriented that it was true. Specifically, the fact that no specific reference to dinosaurs seemed to be a big thing.

This has been a great discouragement for the child in the faith — since the parent is held in great respect as an intelligent and logical person.

My sibling finds it very hard to counteract such things in trying to raise the children in the faith against such resistance.

I hope the book will be something that would not only appeal to atheists, but also an aid to people like my sibling in dealing with the issue…

Thanks for everything and best wishes on the book! I look forward to reading it.

35. Monica G says

I really like your blog (and I used to work for one of the big NYC book publishers). One challenge I think you will have is figuring out how to attract the widest, largest audience possible. You have a very accessible, appealing writing style, but right now it seems like your audience (based on comments and blogroll and quick takes links) is primarily a certain kind of traditionalist Roman Catholic. Do you aspire to appeal to Evangelicals? Protestants? Seekers? I think there are many ways to do this, while still keeping your own personal commitment to Roman Catholicism front and center.

Publishers and editors love “comps,” ie books with big sales that yours can be compared with. Maybe take a look at some successful spiritual memoirs and figure out why so many people want to read those books. A couple things that come to mind: humor and gentle, self-deprecating acknowledgment of setbacks/spiritual struggle. And I think you do a great job with both!

Like Becca, I’d love to read more about your relationship with your parents, especially post-conversion. And as a (Protestant) convert myself, I’d love to read more about raising your kids in a religious culture that you yourself did not grow up with. And maybe I’d like to read more about conversion as a constant process, and faith as a place with peaks and valleys. I think a memoir that ends with “I converted and now I’ve got it all figured out” is pretty dull, lacking in dramatic tension. People want to read about how you’re still challenged in your beliefs, even after conversion.

Anyway…good luck! Looking forward to reading your book!

36. Elizabeth Mahlou says

Hi Jen,
    I seem to have become a bit lost in your postings about your forthcoming book — I am a bit synoptic (look at the world through a global, summative lens), so your various writing comments have run together for me. That said, let me respond to those comments all in one place from the perspective of a published author of more than a dozen books by small and large presses and a professor of writing for publication (among other courses);
    (1) If you have an agent, you are way ahead of the game; let the agent handle finding the publisher (you will find one; your work is good) while you concentrate on writing the book;
    (2) Don’t worry about slippage in time; even if you had a publishing contract in hand from a publisher, that would not be a deal killer; most publishers expect authors, especially first-time ones, to be optimistic on deadlines; one book took me 10 years to write (and even so it turned out to be the seminal work in that field); another I finished in 6 months — it really depends on the muse and those everyday-living surprises that get in your way; editors are generally understanding up until the point that they establish a formal date of publication and start advertising;
    (3) Writer’s block happens to everyone; we need it perhaps to allow our thoughts to sort themselves out in our subconscious; I call it marination time; the best way of handling it that I have heard came from Michener, who, as you know, wrote huge tomes: he set aside early morning hours for writing, never missed a day, and even if he only wrote one sentence that morning that he later tossed out, he got something down on paper; personally, I have found that spending quiet time with God (not praying per se although I suppose quiet time could be considered a version of contemplative prayer) splashes me with inspiration and motivation when the writing juices or drive dry up;
    (4) A fun book that I assign to my students who are experiencing the trouble that you mention in occasionally have too much material to organize easily is Patricia Connor’s Words Fail Me; I also recommend her Woe Is I and Strunk and White’s Elements of Style; you may not need that additional grammar and style help, but the books are quick reads at any rate and contain good advice.
    Good luck!
    – e mahlou

37. Morris five says

I just stumbled across your blog today for the first time and I have to say that you blow me away! You're wonderfully talented and readable. I will definitely be looking for your book and good luck. My husband is currently writing an educational administration book (try not to yawn ๐Ÿ™‚ and I am working on a humour slice of life type book (we have quadruplets) anyway, I have a long way to go not being a natural born writer but I will be following your journey for sure, welcome to the Catholic Church and good luck with the book!

38. Tami says

I am so excited you are writing a book. I have a friend who is agnostic. She recently lost her son and is so angry with God and the world. Your book would be the perfect gift. I don't want to pester her, but I also feel a responsibility to share Christ. Keep me posted for a release time. If you need inspiration on tough writing days, think of all the souls that may be won for God.

39. Ray Ingles says

Based on some of the comments here, I think you really should take 'Becca's advice – devote some time to explaining a bit about how atheists feel and think about things. But do it clearly and respectfully.

Seems a lot of people have a lot of misconceptions about that.

40. Paige says

I think I would like to know how you feel about certain stereotypes that circulate about Christians/believers/Catholics. Do they bother you? Do you go out of your way to try and prove you are smarter and more sensitive than … say… Pat Robertson.

41. Nancy Piccione says

Jen,
    I was just trying to find a space to encourage you in the book. Also, when it is published I would love to feature it as a book-of-the-month at the newish Catholic Post Book Group blog (the blog is newish, not the more than 100 years old Catholic Post, newspaper of the diocese of Peoria). Keep up your beautiful writing and I truly can't wait to read your story in book form. Do you have a publication date yet?

42. Anonymous says

Hi, I am interested, as Lana is, how you dealt with changing relationships from your past life, and how you deal with criticisms given. A lot of blog posts you've made have been very helpful in giving me insight for other things in my life (thank you), but I think that is not one you've touched on much, how does it affect you? How do you deal with the heartache, and/or rejection?

Lisa

43. Anonymous says

Have you read GIRL MEETS GOD ? It is a great book…I highly recommend it! (Pardon me if you have already addressed it in your blog…I'm new here).
    ๐Ÿ™‚

I would like to bounce ideas around about writing a book along the same lines. My blog is giving me a good reason to get my story down; I have felt that it could be expanded into a full book, as there is much that I have not included – and I haven’t yet even gotten really into the good apologetic material from my actual conversion to the Catholic Church – how did you go about finding a publisher? send them to your blog? ๐Ÿ™‚

—todd

catholicsojourner.blogspot.com

A lot of specialists state that credit loans help a lot of people to live their own way, because they are able to feel free to buy needed things. Moreover, different banks present financial loan for different classes of people.

I too am a former Atheist turned believer. Although I believe in the same Bible you do I can guarantee you our understandings differ on one crucial point and that point condemns all organised religions as false. Care to enter into a dialoque?
    Sincerely
    Grant Liddiard

I definitely think a great topic is contraception. The lifestyle contraception has gotten many into physically and mentally, and how it pretty much sterilizes a persons spiritual life. The issue of contraception is central in our time.

The “magic eye” metaphor you brought up at one point is also excellent in drawing a clear picture of what happens when we reorient our life and then we “see” the real picture. Also, I would read up on St Josemaria Escriva’s (opus dei) messages/teachings and his life to draw good points on this magic eye metaphor of realizing the Chistian life/and how when we work with grace/the sacraments/grow in our formation, we make a smoother path, easier path to heaven.

48. Mary Teresa Joseph says

Do you attend the Traditional Latin Mass? You will not be completely orthodox unless you do.

49. Ally says

I’m now disappointed (but not in a bad way really :)lol) – which I clicked over to this page upon finding your blog, I was hoping it was already published (because a friend and I are doing a presentation this summer on “spiritual memoirs”) – can’t wait to read your book whenever it is finally published none-the-less!!!!

I am not a convert, I am a cradle Catholic, but I’ve noticed that most (although not all) devout Catholics that I’ve encountered tend to be converts. I would be interested in your take on this – why are converts generally more faithful, know more about the faith, more involved in the Church, etc.

It’s never too early too start marketing and promotion…especially online. ๐Ÿ™‚ Well, it was ’09 when you first wrote this. Does that mean there’s a book on its way?

52. Marcia says

I’m looking forward to reading your book when it is finished. I know I would like to know two things: 1. What is the compelling evidence for Christianity that you talk about? 2. Why did you decide to become Catholic? Thanks.

Trackbacks