Nominations for the Catholic New Media Awards are now open (picture me coughing nominateme into my fist while acting coolly detached).

I see that they have yet again missed an opportunity for the ironic hilarity of including a “Most Humble” category. I can’t believe they’d pass up such a chance to have some fun at the expense of the shamelessly self-promoting among us, who would see the ridiculousness of asking for votes in that category…yet realize the high chance of winning since few other people would be bold enough to go there. Or maybe that’s just me. I’ll shut up now.

A friend of mine just sent me this wonderful gift, and I had to share:

It’s a “verse purse” by Palmetto Handmade, a little pouch filled with cards with inspiring and thought-provoking Bible verses on them. I love the idea of having this with me to pull out a random card and think about it whenever I have a free moment, like when I’m waiting at the doctor’s office. Definitely put this one in your “gift ideas” file.

(This is not a paid ad, just a product I think is cool.)

I mentioned a couple weeks ago that there was a recent scorpion sighting. What I did not mention, however, that I am convinced that it was caused by mushroom-Feta breakfast casserole. Allow me to explain.

Last summer I was really into making this great breakfast casserole full of yummy mushrooms and Feta cheese. However, after the spectacular hospitality fail when a lovely casserole brunch turned into me asking my pregnant guest to jump repeatedly on a book to smash a scorpion while I ran and hid, I stopped making it. I’m not sure why. Maybe I just got lazy, maybe I associated it with the ego-checking trauma of the day.

Anyway, for the first time in almost a year, I decided to make it again a couple weeks ago. And that’s the night we saw the scorpion. In the panic that ensued from that scorpion being seen waaaay to close to my bed, I convinced myself that making mushroom-Feta casserole causes scorpion infestation and have not made it since. (And we haven’t seen a scorpion since then, even though I still haven’t gotten around to calling the exterminator. See! This is NOT a crackpot theory!)

So for those of you who find my site while Googling about scorpion problems: avoid making mushroom-Feta casserole.

I got some questions about where we got our great bookshelves that were pictured in the shot of my office I posted last week:

A few years ago we just found a local carpenter (I think via Craigslist) and hired him to custom build them for us (there are two more on the other wall not pictured here). I don’t remember how much it cost, but it was surprisingly cheap given how nice they are. If you can find a reliable carpenter, I highly recommend it!

Those of you who share my interest in the lack of cohesive communities in modern America (you can see all our discussions on the subject here) will find this interesting:

A friend of mine was wondering what she could do to bring the people of her neighborhood together, so she started a community theater. Their first performance is a couple weeks from now, and already it’s been a huge success in terms of bringing people together. They’ve had neighborhood bake sales to raise money, the local church has offered the use of its facilities for rehearsals, there have been all sorts of fun jobs available in terms of producing the play, and everyone is looking forward to bringing their families out for the performance in a local park at the end of the month. What a great idea!

I’ve lost so much weight/puffiness from the Saint Diet over the past few months that I had to replace my wedding ring! My old one was slipping off all the time, so I treated myself to this:

$12 at Target!!!

————————-

I look forward to reading your posts!

NOTE: It seems like there are some technical problems with Mr. Linky today. If you don’t see the list try refreshing the page and wait a moment.

1. Kathy@10MinuteWriter
2. Scarlett
3. Venite
4. Elisa @ BlissfulE
5. Kim @ Party of 7
6. Peace Garden Mama
7. Em. @ Gratitude. Simplicity. Frugality.
8. Christi @ The Journey
9. Catherine
10. dylan
11. Jennifer @ Here I Stand
12. Laura
13. puella
14. Debbie
15. Sarah Reinhard
16. Sara @ A Shower of Roses
17. Katherine @ The Domestic Church
18. Lisa (Are We There Yet?)
19. Laughing Lioness
20. Tami @ The Next Step
21. Cara (@health, home, happiness)
22. Barbara @ Praying for Grace
49. Christine the Soccer Mom
50. Kelly @ Love Well
51. Mrs. Bubbles
52. Amber @ Rutabaga Dreams
53. The Lord’s Sheep
54. Emily
55. Catherine @ Adventures in Domesticity (weighed bookmark)
56. Laura@Life, Faith, Home, School
57. stephanie (LSL/Bold Avenue)
58. Aussie Therese
59. Jaime (ChaseNKids)
60. Christine @ Good Company
61. the luxurious life of anna
62. Dawn @ Sufficient for Today
63. Suitable For Mixed Company
64. Erin@ Seven Little Australians Plus One
65. Melanie @ The Wine Dark Sea
66. rita
67. Agnes Regina @ The Steel Lily
68. Lucy (City of Steeples)
69. Elena@My Domestic Church

Powered by… Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.

Comments

1. Kathy Grubb says

It’s been a while since I’ve done this. My link is a tribute to my mom, Millie! Happy Mother’s Day, Mom!

2. Scarlett says

5 – That sounds like such a wonderful idea. Do you know what she did to make it successful and create interest? I feel like suggestions like that usually only meet with apathy in my neighborhood.

6 – That is *beautiful* for a $12 ring!

7 – I have no idea what Bloglines is, and I’ve never used Google Reader, because I think I may officially be the last person on Earth who doesn’t use a feed reader.

3. blissful_e says

It took me a while to move from Bloglines to Google Reader, but I’m happier with Google. I like being able to “star” favourite posts… the downside is that now I have such a huge backlog of great ideas that I have no idea when I’ll implement them!

4. Laura says

Thanks for hosting. Still looking forward to seeing pictures of your prayer corner!

I need to seriously consider the saint diet, I can’t get my wedding ring off!

God Bless.

5. Sarah Reinhard says

You mean someone still uses bloglines?

*grin*

Your 7QT are so cohesive, Jen, and such a pleasure to read. (Oh, wait, that’s how everything you write is!) Thanks for getting this started and keeping it going! πŸ™‚

6. nicole says

I don’t use a reader at all, which is really old school, right? I just don’t like using one.

Pretty ring! And I am impressed at your discipline with the Saint Diet. I am still clinging to my unhealthy preferences, but exercising to balance it out. πŸ™‚

7. Lenae says

Much of your list today made me laugh out loud! And I’ve been eying the verse purses at Palmetto Handmade for awhile (I also read the shop owner’s blog.) I just might have to snap one up…

8. Mary Poppins NOT says

I can’t find the Mr. Linky thing. Is it just me? Anyway, I have a post ready and waiting!

Blessings!

9. Meredith@MerchantShips says

Have to admit, you tricked me with the ring! Who would know the difference?

I am still with Bloglines.

10. John Henry says

Am I officially the last person on the planet who has not switch from Bloglines to Google Reader?We’ll have to wait to find out – it will probably be a few days before Bloglines readers see the post in their feed. ;-). I switched about a month or two ago, and Google reader is better at updating and it keeps the already ‘read’ posts visible, which makes it more convenient.

11. Julie says

I use both Bloglines and Google reader — for two genres of blogs that I follow — and I prefer Bloglines hands down. I’ve been meaning to find another reader to replace Google reader, even…I just don’t like the way it behaves. Creature of habit, I guess. πŸ˜‰

12. MamaT says

I’m technologically incompetent, so I use neither bloglines nor Goodle Reader. I wouldn’t know how to do either one! I just click on the blogs themselves.

In a way, I think it keeps me more honest about the time I spend on the computer…..

Does that sound weird?

13. Milehimama says

I LIKE bloglines. Why is google reader so much better?

I use the Read It Later Firefox extension quite a bit with my Bloglines.

I lost my original engagement/wedding ring in a move – I bought a $20 gold band at WalMart that I’ve worn for the last 4 years!

14. agapeflower117 says

Just thought I’d make my 7 Quick Takes debut today…thanks for coming up with the idea! πŸ˜€

15. Amanda - The Mom Job says

I will not covet thy bloggy neighbor’s custom-built storage furniture…
    I will not covet thy bloggy neighbor’s custom-built storage furniture…
    I will not covet thy bloggy neighbor’s custom-built storage furniture…

16. Clare Marie-Therese Duroc says

The ring is just beautiful!

Your #3 is just hilarious. It doesn’t explain the scorpion found in [i]my[/i] room, though. πŸ˜‰

17. Ginkgo100 says

Well, I made the switch a long time ago and I really like Google Reader better. You don’t “lose” a post after you view it. And then I discovered the nifty “Next” link β€” the one I believe YOU posted! β€” and I can view blog posts on their own sites now. Next they need to make “Next” links for each folder.

18. amy says

Gosh, I didn’t even have a feed reader until yesterday. Here I was thinking how brilliant I was for “discovering” such a wondrous thing! Mine’s not a Google one or a Bloglines one, just the Safari one that comes with our Apple computer. Sigh. So behind the times…

19. rebecca says

i am leaving a comment after linking as per your request!

also: yuck, scorpions. so far i haven’t had any, perhaps east texas doesn’t get them like y’all do?? we do get monster cockroaches though, often euphemistically referred to as “east texas water bugs”… and they have little to do with cleanliness. they are everywhere and they are GROSS. but i think scorpions would be pretty bad. not as bad as snakes though.

20. 'Becca says

I hope it’s not against the 7 Quick Takes rule to make the 7 items part of a single theme. It gave me a framework to rave about some things I’ve been meaning to rave about, while probably babbling less than I would have without the structure of making a list of 7.

I totally agree that Most Humble should be an award category. πŸ™‚

21. Hairline Fracture says

The “verse purse” is a great idea!

I do know a reliable carpenter, and luckily for me, I’m married to him.

22. Christine the Soccer Mom says

I am SOOO late with my seven quickies, but I wanted to throw the link on there.

And I use Bloglines, too. So there. πŸ™‚

I love the bookshelves, too. What a neat idea! ‘course, I just bought a shelf for my “office” area, so I don’t need them (in the strictest sense) just now.

23. Stephanie says

2. Verse purse – very cool!!

3. What about people (i.e. my parents) who have recurring scorpion problems, but don’t make feta mushroom casseroles? Do you think if Mom made one it would keep them away?

5. Community theater! What a great idea! I’ll have to go back and check out those posts. Sounds interesting.

24. Jaime says

Loved the $12 ring. I did the same thing when I was pregnant. I bought a $10 gold ring from QVC years and years ago. Still have it.

I have really enjoyed this carnival. Thank you for hosting it!

25. Melanie B says

yet another reason I wish we lived in Austin: I love your bookshelves and want to hire your carpenter. Though maybe not so much with the scorpions.

26. Courageous Grace says

Absolutely love your custom built shelves! My husband and I are in the process this weekend of building a mantel with two flanking cabinets on either side. One is to hold all the electronics, the other is for books and will be part of our “prayer/devotional wall”.

27. Julie says

Can I just say….I’m over here laughing because the day after I comment praising Bloglines…it seems to be down. All day. I cant remember the last time I had trouble of any kind with Bloglines. *sigh*

28. Amy Jane (Untangling Tales) says

FWIW I’m still on bloglines too.

I tried google, but somehow it didn’t work for me— even seemed vaguely creepy. I don’t remember why.

Maybe I should try again?

29. Anonymous says

a bit late checking your blog..

verse purse? After 3rd reading of Bible I decided to type up on typing paper as many of the verses I had underlined/highlighted throughout the years, laminate the sheets of paper
    and then cut them into about 4 rectangles.. I ended up with about 30
    2 inch by 3 inch rectangles filled with Scripture. At check out lines,
    in traffic jams, anytime I have to wait or longer than 5 minutes, I pull the sheets out of my purse( I have them all in a plastic envelope I picked up at the lottery ticket kiosk). One thing is guaranteed, if you pull them out at check out lane, you will almost immediately
    have to check out! The line seem to speed up. They are also excellent evangelism catalysts.

30. Barbara says

Re #5: I have a neighborhood soup night during the cooler months (say, September to April). I make two soups and invite neighbors who bring bread or fruit (or nothing) and don’t even have to RSVP! It was a leap of faith, but has been WONDERFUL.

I got the idea from Sunset magazine. You can read more at http://thinkaboutthesethings.blogspot.com/2008/01/loveliness-of-soup-night.html and http://thinkaboutthesethings.blogspot.com/2008/09/soup-night-is-back.html

31. Jay says

I was cracking up. I had to comment-We bought the same ring at Target in December b/c my wedding band was too small. I had been asking for a "replacement" ring for months after I had to retire my band for awhile. I was debating on whether we should buy it since our baby was due in only 4 weeks but for $12-come on how cheap can I be? Well I only got to wear it for a week b/c our little one came early-now it is way too big! It is nice ring though.

Trackbacks