Whew! I’m feeling quite a bit better after my little bout with the flu. I credit my quick recovery to lots of rest and Emergen-C. I guess it could be the placebo effect, but I really feel like Emergen-C makes a significant different in my body’s ability to fight illnesses. Anyone else have any favorite cold- and flu-fighting tips?

I got better just in time, because I’m getting on a plane tonight after the kids go to bed. My husband and I are taking a quick trip out to El Paso to visit my dad. He’s managing a cool construction project out there that he wanted us to see before it’s wrapped up in a couple of months, so he offered to fly us out for a tour. It’ll be a quick turnaround since I don’t want to test the limits of my mom’s chaos management abilities as she holds down the fort back here, but it’ll be fun to get a little change of pace nonetheless.

A couple of friends asked why we don’t just drive out there. The reason is because it’s a nine-hour drive from Austin to El Paso. We Texans often take the “subway in the sky, ” cheap and easy Southwest Airlines, for travel between distant cities. (For a bit of obligatory Texas-is-big trivia, it would take about 15 hours to drive from the southern tip of the state to the northern tip.)

Speaking of Texas and travel: Fly down to Texas, have lunch with me, and you get to be in a TV commercial! Well, I guess I can’t guarantee that, although it did happen to Roxane Salonen when she headed back to San Antonio after our lunch a couple weeks ago.

Back on the subject of the flu, yesterday I got an email from “Maria, ” the Colombian social worker who was here this summer with the Kidsave kids (whom I frequently mentioned in my posts on the subject), saying that she had the swine flu! She was hospitalized for 20 days but is better now. Thank goodness she’s OK!

A couple weekends ago my husband and I were honored to have Joshunda Sanders from the Austin-American Statesman join us at Mass as part of familiarizing herself with the local religion beat. It was a pleasure to meet her, and I enjoyed reading about her impressions of the service.

In the four-year history of this blog we have discussed some of the weightiest and most controversial topics known to modern man. Abortion, contraception, euthanasia, atheism, Christianity, the Catholic Church, suffering — you name it, we’ve talked about it. But there is one subject that would seem more pressing than all the rest, a topic so riveting that, when I brought it up recently, broke my “most comments in one day” record by a fair margin. And that subject was: Trucknutz.

———————

I look forward to reading your posts!

1. Anna @ Annalogue
2. theRosyGardener
3. Blair’s Blessings
4. Venite
5. Paul A. Nelson
6. Tami @ The Next Step
7. NCSue
8. mary @ Passionate Perseverance
9. DebbieQ @ stophershesknitting
10. Emily
11. Sarah Reinhard (Tips from Kate Wicker)
12. Erin@Seven Little Australians Plus One
53. Smoochagator
54. kim
55. Sarah @ Simple Pleasures
56. Barbara C.@Box of Chocolates
57. Clare@Battlements Of Rubies
58. Erika @ effulgence
59. Milehimama (Mama Says)
60. Kathryn @ The Bookworm
76. MRS. BRIGHTSIDE
77. Lindsay @ Very Sleepy People
78. Living with Three Hobbits and a Giant
79. Carly at the Tree
80. Jen @ The Short Years
81. Catherine @ Adventures in Domesticity
82. Therese (Aussie Coffee Shop)
83. Antony Barone Kolenc
84. Laughing Lioness
85. Christian H @ The Thinking Grounds
86. Kathy @ The Political Housewyf
87. Lindsey

Powered by… Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.

Comments

1. Anna says

Ah, but you haven't talked politics yet. That might beat out even Trucknutz! πŸ˜‰

(This should not be read as an encouragement to talk about politics on your blog. I think your blog is better off without that.)

2. Nzie (theRosyGardener) says

Yeah, Texas is huge. As a native New Englander, I always knew other parts of the country had a lot bigger states, etc., but it took living in rural VA to 'get' how spread out things are in other parts of the country.

Glad your flu is better. I've got a nasty cough myself that has gotten better in my ears now but is heading more for the throat… and it's cold here already.

3. NC Sue says

Hi Jen,

Just wanted to send some get well wishes your way. I hope you're feeling better, and hope the flu isn't running through your family.

Get well soon!

NCSue

4. Melanie B says

I love emergen-c. And Southwest Airlines.

They "why don't you drive?" question reminds me of when my friend Stephanie in Seattle had a European friend come for a visit.When Stephanie asked this European where they wanted to go while visiting, on the list were items like the Grand Canyon. As if you could just jaunt over on a daytrip. Just no idea how big the US really is.

5. Roxane B. Salonen says

Jennifer, I'm so glad you had a chance to view the commercial. Isn't that hilarious? You'll have to let me know if you see it on local TV. I'm glad you're feeling better and anticipating a plane right now, too. Glad to have you back. This wasn't a quick takes day for me, but if you have time, hope you'll read my "Faith Fridays" post mentioning Anne Lamott's book, and how I became disillusioned by her through it. Blessings…

6. Elizabeth says

It would seem that EVERYONE needed to comment on those lovely truck "endowments"…LOL.
    Glad you found the "pulse of the nation" here at 7 QT
    Pax Christi!

7. That Married Couple says

Oh yeah – we LOVE Southwest! After living in Houston for four years, we were converted. Even though we now live in Philadelphia, we still try to fly with them exclusively. They're nicer and cheaper than any other airline – you can't go wrong!

8. Anne@Rosydreamer says

Cold and flu tip of the day: Avoid spending time at preschools. When I taught preschool, I was sick almost every month. I've been teaching grade school now for more than a year. I think I've been sick ONCE!

9. Anonymous says

Sorry to be pedantic, but I think you're confusing psychosomatic reactions with the placebo effect. They're not the same thing.

10. 4ddintx says

If you have an extra few minutes when you're in El Paso, I'd love to meet you! I know your plan is to visit with your Dad and it's a quick trip, but in the off-chance you get a few extra seconds:

tabithaspitzer (at) hotmail dot com

Have a great weekend. So glad that you're feeling better!

11. Rebecca says

Trucknutz gained the most comments, huh? What does that say about us? – ha!

Glad you are feeling better – the flu is definitely not on my list of 'fun' and I don't have 4 small children!

I would opt for the plane ride as well – 9 hours in a car is not on my 'fun' list either! Southwest is great!

12. Jennifer @ Conversion Diary says

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

4ddintx – our schedule is pretty packed but I'll email you if I can find a free moment! πŸ™‚

Anon – thanks for the tip. You're right. That's what I get for writing while tired. I corrected it.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

13. Anna says

What then, is the difference between the placebo effect and psychosomatic effects? Isn't the placebo effect just a subcategory within the broader range of psychosomatic effects? (I googled to see if I could find the difference, and came across this paper, whose title seems to refer to the placebo effect as a psychosomatic phenomenon).

14. Smoochagator says

I'm all about orange juice and chicken noodle soup (preferably Campbell's – served with saltine crackers!) when I'm sick. Also, pseudoephedrine raises my quality of life by about 500% when I'm stuffy and congested.

15. Rebecca says

re #3: Maybe it is because I grew up in Canada, or just because I hate to fly, but I would way prefer to drive from one side of Texas to the other than fly. But then, I hate to fly.

re #7: Never underestimate the classiness of your readers.

16. SoS 1:4 says

Things I keep in my cabinet:
    Sambucol (brand name…it's black elderberry extract and you can find it at Vitamin Shoppe)can shorten duration of flu symptoms by several days, GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) also an immune booster, Oregano Oil and Goldenseal – I have found that if I take these 2 (OO in capsule or gel cap form…liquid is super strong and hard to take straight) at the onset of symptoms, I can knock it. I take 2 of each ever 2 hours. And finally, homeopathic remedy Oscillococcinum Flu Remedy by Boiron. Needs to be taken at the onset of symptoms and can stop flu in its tracks or reduce duration of symptoms. Whew!

17. Lucy says

I consider myself to be a person who enjoys learning, however, I could have went my entire life without ever knowing or seeing Trucknutz and would have been perfectly happy. (lol) I live in Ohio, in the suburbs, and have to admit I have never ever seen such a thing. Matter of fact we don't 'decorate' our trucks here. I often joke that the gentlemen driving the big trucks in their $1000.00 suits look ridiculous. Anyways, I laughed so hard when I hit that link and saw what a Trucknutz was, I guess only in the South, right? And I guess I can laugh because as of now I am not driving down the street looking at such, umm, such,well, what, shall I say, disgusting display of macho crap!
    Good Luck with your attempts to get them gone, hopefully it is a fad that just disappears!

18. Rosebud says

Oh Jen, Jen, Jen! The speed limit on I-10 is 80 mph now. So now, it's only EIGHT HOURS of the most boring scenery known to man.

And just think how many Trucknutz you'd be likely to see on that drive!

Signed,
    She who has driven that road too many times

19. Maggie says

my favorite way to fight a cold is to take zinc pills. you can get a good-sized bottle for only a few dollars at walgreens. This is why they work:

Most colds are caused by a family of viruses called rhinoviruses. Rhinoviruses, like all viruses, are most little sacks of protein and a bit genetic material. They do, however, need enzymes called proteases to reproduce themselves. Zinc fits very nicely into the active site of the rhinoviruses' protease machinery and makes the enzymes unable to function = viruses are unable to replicate. So zinc, unlike other cold medicines, actually treats the source, not the symptoms. I always pop a pill or two at the first sign of a cold, and it usually works like a charm.

one caution: zinc can be rough on a empty stomach so make sure you take it with food! And too much zinc can inhibit your ability to absorb iron properly, so if you're anemic or pregnant ask your doctor first πŸ™‚

(these are the sort of random facts I remember from my pre-med undergrad days that I never get to use because now I teach religion. But I rarely suffer from colds, so it's all to the good!)

20. Dustmite says

I went back and read your post on Trucknutz…lol, we have them here in Montana as well.

But tell me, has anybody purchased them through your associate account?

21. Christine says

I drove from Ohio to DC yesterday and saw my first set of trucknuts. Of course, I thought of you. πŸ™‚

22. Garden Gal says

When I was preggers last winter someone recommended ELDERBERRY SYRUP as an alternative when I came down with a cold. I used to be all about Emergen-C but the last few times I had used it, I didn't notice any real help. BAM, the Elderberry syrups worked wonders for me when I was preggo & it's still the fastest thing I've ever experienced when it comes to knocking out a cold. As soon as I start to feel any kind of symptom I just start taking 2 dropperfuls 3 times a day.

I've yet to really experience more than a day of mild cold symptoms since I discovered this stuff. Crazy! I'm just really hoping it lasts long-term for me. Good luck!

23. Pharmgirl says

I am laughing out loud about #7!

Also – volume 52? That means you've been doing Quick Takes for an entire year! You should celebrate. πŸ™‚