Last Sunday I had the pleasure of praying Vespers at a Dominican sisters‘ convent (a local house of that same community that was recently featured on Oprah). I’d have to write a full post to cover all my thoughts, but let’s just say that it was an extremely beautiful, spiritually filling experience. They chanted the prayers in the candle-lit chapel, then we prayed the rosary, then we went out to the greeting area to chat for a while. These young women are some of the most warm, intelligent, Christ-filled people I’ve met in a long time. All this week I’ve been on a high from the afternoon I spent with them.

Tomorrow (Saturday the 27th) I’ll be joining Barbara McGuigan on her national radio show, The Good Fight, from 2:00 – 4:00 EDT on EWTN Radio. Here’s a list of EWTN’s local stations throughout the country, and they’re also on Sirius channel 160. In the second half of the show we’ll be taking calls and emails from listeners. I’d love to hear from you!

When Ash Wednesday rolled around, I decided to set a loose “theme” on which I could focus my prayer and penance efforts during Lent. Now that the season is almost over, I see that there has indeed been a theme, but it’s not at all the one I’d planned on. Instead, over these past few weeks God seems to have given me the theme of “smashing idols.” As happens so often, it turned out to be not at all what I expected, not really what I wanted, but exactly what I needed. Have you noticed any themes in your spiritual life this Lent?

Oooh! I was going to write something else here, but then I stumbled across this inspiring video about the sisters I mentioned in #1 (filmed at their mother house in Michigan). It’s a five-minute video that offers a look at what daily life is like as a Dominican nun, the discernment process for some of these young women, their call to teach — and even their love of playing soccer. Well worth watching:

I just got my copy of How Do You Tuck in a Superhero by Rachel Balducci, supermom of five young boys with another baby due any second now. Keep this one on your list as the perfect gift for a mom of boys — and definitely read it if you have sons yourself…or if you’ve ever had a brother, had male classmates at school, or have ever been around boys in any capacity. (I just have to note: I gave an official endorsement, and it was embarrassingly exciting to see my name on the cover of a book; granted, it was on the back cover of someone else’s book, but I’ll take it.)

A friend and I recently had a fun discussion about any little claims to fame we have. All I could come up with (other than my big Balducci endorsement, of course) is that Norman Borlaug was my dad’s little league coach, and my aunt went to school with David Sedaris. Do you have any cool claims to fame?

I keep chuckling about this comment I received a while back in response to my post about picking a “word of the year.” A few people announced that their word was fiat, and one commenter responded:

I chuckled at the first person to choose “fiat, ” because it immediately brought to mind a mental image of a sporty little car. But, by the time the third commenter had chosen it, I had to look it up on dictionary.com. Perhaps it’s a common term used among Catholics and that’s why it was new to me, but I thought others might like to know that one meaning is: (from Medieval Latin) “let it be done.”

As a person who also used to be very unfamiliar with Catholic-speak, I loved the image of someone reading the comments and thinking, “Fiat?”, perhaps wondering if people were going to start chiming in with “Gremlin” or “VW Bus” next.

Have a great weekend and a blessed Palm Sunday, everyone!

———————–

I look forward to reading your posts!

1. Em@Average Radical
25. Chelsea @ Roots & Rings
26. Rose @ Adventures In Savings
27. Heather Cady
28. Alice @ Accidental Grad Student
29. Judy
30. Love2learn Mom
31. Amanda (formerly TheMomJob)
32. byzymom
69. Amy @ Tiny Blessings
70. Elizabeth Mahlou
71. Betty
72. Maia@Flowers Round the Cross
73. Erin @ Seven Little Australians Plus One
74. Kathleen’s Catholic
75. Jillian @ Welcome To Jillville!
76. Gillian – Life of a Photographer

Powered by… Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.

Comments

1. Jaimie says

This is the first year I've done Lent. I gave up chocolate. I fully intended to (1) not screw it up at all and (2) learn something awesome about God's strength in my weakness.

Well, I think my "theme" was different, in that I learned about God's grace. Apparently chocolate keeps me from going crazy (to a degree), and I've really missed it. So, since it's technically "allowed" that you can have a mini-break on a Sunday, I had some chocolate last Sunday.

And that's okay. It's not about ME looking perfect or being perfect. I CAN screw-up (even intentionally!) and God still accepts me.

I'll still be fasting during the week though, until Easter.

2. Angie @ Many Little Blessings says

Oh — and how could I forget? Sr. Imelda's mother is also the godmother of my oldest son. Silly, silly Angie. ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. Charlotte (Matilda) says

Claims to fame:
    I graduated with two guys who went on the play in the NFL, although, in Texas, that's not that special.

The guy who created Veronica Mars was my high school's journalism teacher. I always wondered if any of us showed up in his show.

Oh, and my Dad's best friend is a former MLB baseball player with a World Series ring.

4. Tami Boesiger says

My only claim to fame is being related to Francis Scott Key. Doesn't sound so exciting, huh?

5. Kathleen@so much to say, so little time says

My m-i-law actually owns a cherry-red Fiat convertible. I had never heard the word until I was twenty years old and was introduced to that car for the first time. ๐Ÿ™‚ But after that I kept running across references to Mary's "fiat" so I got the idea.

6. Smoochagator says

I was thinking of your "word of the year" post yesterday in childbirth class. Our teacher asked us to come up with a one-word "mantra" for our labor and delivery, and I'm struggling with the assignment. In my birth plan, I said that I want to foster an environment of "restful celebration" during my labor and delivery – meaning we're going to have fun, but I'm going to discipline myself to relax. How does one say that in one word? And if I'm having a hard time coming up with a one-word description of how I want a single event to go, how on earth are people able to come up with a one-word description for a whole YEAR? Am I the only one this verbose and neurotic?

Thanks for the book rec – since I found out that we're having a boy, I've been a little "Eeek!" over the idea of raising a creature whose thoughts and actions will likely be completely alien to me at times. So I've been picking up whatever books I can find that are specifically about raising boys. I'll have to check out your friend's book next.

Have a lovely weekend! I can't wait to read about what you learned during the Lenten season.

7. Suburban Correspondent says

Sorry – I see "fiat" and I immediately think, "Fix It Again, Tony!"

Claim to fame: my kids' Little Tykes wagon was assembled by the drummer on Bruce Springsteen's Folkways album.

8. Jamie says

Jen, I am so glad you went to visit the Dominican Sisters of Mary! I actually entered their community a couple years ago (had to leave for health reasons), but I know first hand what a wonderful bunch of women they are! Didn't you run into them once before?

9. Jennifer @ Conversion Diary says

Jamie (7:22 AM) – Yes! I can't believe I forgot to mention that. These are the sisters whom I originally met the day I was locked out of the Adoration chapel. That is so cool that you know them personally.

Smoochagator – My first was a boy, and I was also totally freaked out by the idea. Of course, now I can't imagine it any other way. And, yeah, there's no way I could have come up with a one-word birth plan.

Anyway, I mainly popped in to say:

Blogger is acting up and ate a couple comments I tried to approve. If you left a comment and don't see it, it's not because I deleted it!

Hope everyone's day is off to a good start. ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Catherine says

Hmmm. . . I guess my claim to fame would be. . .Well, I was college roommate with Avril Lavigne's first cousin. I also met Dean Cain once on the street in Halifax, NS. wow, I thought I was way cooler than I really am.

11. Heather says

Interesting question about a Lent theme, I think mine is transition.

Thanks for hosting.

12. Owner of Homeschool Faith and Family Life Website says

What a GREAT post! Thanks Jennifer!
    "Fiat"…ha ha..FUNNY!
    I love how God led you to a Lenten theme which was perfect, yet not what you expected!
    My theme (so too, not what I expected) has been "I AM ALL THAT YOU NEED" and "I WILL MAKE UP WHERE YOU ARE LACKING" (words of Christ to Faustina)
    As for "claim to fame"…well…do you recall yeaaarrrrrrssssssssss ago there was a very very popular set of tv commercials with a certain fun-loving traffic cop that wore white gloves and did a big show of directing traffic and waving to the crowds? Well…that would be: Vick the Traffic Cop…cousin of MY DAD!!! WOO HOO!
    Does that count? LOL

13. Mary Kate says

My daughter is a freshman at a high school run by the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecelia. They run a great school – both spiritually and academically. It's been a good year for her and she has many friends that travel quite a distance to attend the school.

14. Love2Learn Mom says

Lent's been funny this year. I set out to limit sweets and such as usual (and pretty much failed as usual) and discovered that for health reasons I actually need to give up sweets altogether. I did and have seen a variety of significant improvements (beyond simply bodily health). Oh yeah, and the theme seems to be "trust". ๐Ÿ˜‰

15. Kris says

Just finished Rachel's book – LOVED IT!! I have 4 boys, so it really struck home with me. So nice to know some other Mom is living my life, and can write about it so eloquently! My claim to fame is being friends with the Osment family (they go to our church), anut, uncle and first cousins to Haley Joel Osment and Emily Osment. And my stepfather has done some work on environmental issues with Clint Eastwood.

16. Tres Angelas says

I just checked, and you're still the number one Google search result for "socially awkward person."

C'mon, that's a huge claim to fame!

17. Anonymous says

#6
    compared to this, there are no claims to fames for me;
    I am Roman Catholic and Jesus Christ my Savior comes to me in the Eucharist. How cool is that?

a convert

18. Amy Giglio says

For a while I've been trying to practice humility and BOY did God give me lots of times to practice it this Lent! It wasn't what i thought I'd be working on this season, but I have learned that I still have a long way to go….

Thanks for hosting!

19. Young Mom says

O my goodness, I didn't even think to connect it to lent. These last couple weeks we have had alot of spiritual and emotional unheaval around here. If I had to summerize it, I could only describe it as overcoming shame.

20. Marcy K. says

This year I started trying to give up annoyance at my children's interruptions, and I'm still attempting to do that…but it has been a good Lent for delving into serious spiritual books for me.

Claim to fame…well, I was the pool feed live camera operator in the courtroom for the William Kennedy Smith rape trial in 1991. My then boyfriend, now husband, was the audio mixer for the whole thing. We did a lot of CourtTV those years. (This was the biggest trial before OJ Simpson.) I also did teleprompter for infomercials with "Alice" from the Brady Bunch and Joe Namath. And, oh yeah, I accidentally cut Dan Marino's hand shooting the Dan Marino show years ago. Ah, the memories.

21. Thrifty Mystics says

My claim to fame is being in the movie "Everybody's All American." My roommate and I were extras but decided to sneak into the "close-up" group. They got to be up front in group shoots. You can actually see my face in a stadium scene, standing right behind Timothy Hutton. When I told my kids about it, their response was, "Who is Timothy Hutton?"

22. Anne Marie says

Number 6

When my husband and I went into the Santa Monica courthouse to get our marriage license way, way back in 1990, Rod Stewart and Rachel Hunter were there with their handler getting their marriage license too. Their wedding was glamtastic, and you can still find the pics on line, our marriage has endured.

Iโ€™ll take my gig any day.

Oh and my MIL is the artist who drew the Budweiser frogs and the lizard, and a bunch of other stuff for TV and films, but almost everyone remembers the Bud Weis Er frogs right off the bat.

23. George @ Convert Journal says

The sisters in the #4 video are awesome. They are inspirational and give me a lot of hope.

I don't watch Oprah, but I saw videos from their appearance on her show. Oprah treated them fairly (some people had concerns) and the sisters were great ambassadors to a world that can often be anti-Catholic.

24. miller_schloss says

I think my theme for Lent has turned out to be this, from "Girl Meets God" by Lauren Winner: "I know how an apple feels."

This has been an extension of the past 9 months to me…God has been taking a paring knife to me, I have learned how much He wants all my everything, and I have learned how an apple feels. Here is the full quote from her:

I cried, I think, because I was coming to understand in a new way just how much was required of me, how much God was going to strip away all my everything, like silver polish taking the tarnish off old forks. I cried because I know more and more how Chekhov was right, how we are all running around desperate to make connections with one another, but mostly we are all just estranged. Because I know more and more that this glass here is so very dark, that this really is a long loneliness, that it is both lonely and long.

Sometimes I feel God has taken a paring knife to me. I know the way an apple feels.

25. Christine the Soccer Mom says

Jen, I don't have much of a claim to fame, but my parents sort of do.

Remember the movie "The Ammityville Horror"? Well, my parents went to school with the man who wrote the books. (I found this out when they filmed the movie in the town I grew up in, Toms River, NJ.) I, having heard from all my worldly friends that the story was about his haunted house on Long Island, breathlessly asked if he knew about the house.

My father scoffed, "It's all a lie. The guy was a liar in school, and I am positive he made the whole thing up."

Turns out Dad was right. Years later, he quietly admitted that he was going into foreclosure and bankruptcy and made this fantastic story up to get out of his obligations and make some money.

Anyway, that's it. Unless you count that I used to wait on a lot of the minor players for the Orlando Magic when Shaq was with them. Scott Skiles sat in my section multiple times, and I think I waited on "Tree" Rollins once. But most of the time, I didn't know how they were until later. (I worked at the TGIFridays' in Altamonte Springs, FL, at the time.)

I hope you've had a blessed Lent, Jen. "See" you after Easter when you're on more.

26. Christine the Soccer Mom says

Tami's ancestor reminds me of something else. Remember that movie "The Patriot" (with Mel Gibson)? He played someone who was partly based on Francis "Swamp Fox" Marion, who is some great-great of mine on my mother's father's mother's side. So, I ask you this: Does this make me related to Mel Gibson?

27. Dorian Speed says

Totally, totally awesome that you are in any way "related" to David Sedaris.

I have a famous friend and was invited to this friend's wedding, but we weren't able to go for various reasons. I'm nervous at normal people parties. I can't imagine how crazy I would have acted at a famous person wedding.

I figure I am my friend's connection to the community of the unkempt and skittish.

28. Maia says

I am so glad you mentioned "How to Tuck in a Superhero"! I heard mention of the book this week and was so intrigued by the title that I had nearly resolved to order it. Your words crossed out the "nearly". Thanks.

29. Kathleen's Catholic says

Love your blog. I put your link on Kathleen's Catholic. Tried to use the Mister Linky messe, but it wouldn't let me. Registered and all, so not sure why. But that's okay!

Your blog is wonderful. You will reach and encourage many, I'm sure!!

30. AB says

My little claim to fame is that around 1990 my boyfriend (now husband) and I took my cousin and her boyfriend to dinner and a movie. They were freshmen at the same college where I had just started grad school. Her boyfriend at the time was none other than Larry Page (cofounder of Google and now bajillionaire) and he was a supergeek even then. Needless to say, they did not get married and she is now an archeologist, but at least she HAS a PhD her mother observes (and Larry didn't get his yet). We like to joke that Larry owes us dinner and a movie.

31. elizabeth says

How cool ~ Norman Borlaug is one of the least known great men of our time. Maybe your having this association will cause people to look him up and realize what he did in our time – for so many.

My dad once rode in an elevator with Roy Clark, and I got smacked in the head with a baseball by Bart Starr (yes, a baseball) — no damage done…I've a VERY hard head. ๐Ÿ˜€

Holy Week is an attempt to be focused on our God – first and foremost…it is amazing how much claims my time from him (I mean He is always with me…but not vice versa. ๐Ÿ™ )

Have a blessed week and Easter!

32. Anonymous says

Weird claims to fame…

I am descended (on the wrong side of the blanket as they say) from King Oscar of Sweden. His father was a Napoleonic Marshal, Bernadotte. Bernadotte's wife was engaged to Napoleon before he jilted her and married Josephine. So that's my great, great, great grandparents.

Jane M

33. George @ Convert Journal says

Jennifer's appearance on EWTN's The Good Fight on Saturday is now available for download.

Click here.

Jennifer's segment begins in minute 18.

Trackbacks