This may be my fastest version of Quick Takes ever, because I need to get back to preparing for a speech I’m giving tonight (Thursday). A few people have commented that they’re amazed that I’d sign up for public speaking when I have a four-week-old baby. These kind souls seem to have a mental image of me getting the phone call asking me to speak, looking around my immaculately organized house, past my children who are quietly engaging in some educational crafts, and saying, “Well, since I am so completely on top of everything around here, might as well!”

What actually happened was that we arranged this months ago, when the idea of having a newborn was a vague concept that I didn’t have the time or attention span to think too much about. With the way things have gone for the past couple of days, I have this image of me being up at the podium tonight and glancing at my notes, which were written in the midst of utter chaos, and saying during the speech, “And the third most compelling point for the truth of Christianity is DO NOT CLIMB ON THE TELEVISION…oh, wait…”

My kids have finally found one thing they miss about cable: Getting to hear the Jabber Jaws song that Cartoon Network frequently plays during commercial breaks. They got such a kick out of it because it’s sung by our good friend Dan Lord, a.k.a. baby Pamela’s godfather, a.k.a. Hallie Lord‘s husband, a.k.a. one of my favorite bloggers. He used to be in this awesome band called Pain (which I actually saw one time when they came to Austin in the 90’s), and their catchy tribute to everyone’s favorite cartoon shark lives on on the Cartoon Network. Every time the song came on my kids would jump up and spaz-dance all over the living room, shouting, “That’s Mr. Dan!”

Now I’ve got one of my favorite Pain songs running through my head, so I offer it here for your enjoyment. Dan is going to be posting some stories about his punk-rock lead-singer-to-devout-Catholic conversion on his blog soon, which I look forward to checking out.

My dad was having trouble with his golf balls getting mixed up with other people’s on the golf course, so he commissioned four little artists he knows to create some special ball designs just for him. I don’t think he’ll have any problems with mix-ups now!

Get this: One of my friends doesn’t have cable or internet at home! She said that she really wants her home to be a place where she can completely unplug. I was at her house, and it had this unbelievably peaceful “domestic monastery” feel to it. Now, this probably wouldn’t work for someone like me who’s home all the time (my friend is single and works outside of the home, so she uses the internet there), but I really admired her willingness to take a bold step toward bringing balance and peace to her life. Her example reminded me to remain open to that kind of thing in prayer, in case God ever nudged me to take my own steps to cultivate times of radical unplugging in my life.

In one of the more surprising developments in recent weeks, I’ve come to really enjoy doing this Lindsay Brin post-partum workout DVD. I was so tired of being tired after that rough third trimester that I’ve been super eager to get moving again, and this DVD is the perfect solution. It offers a 12-week program that starts out very slowly and gradually works up to harder exercises. The most hilarious part is that my kids are fascinated with it, and always want to do it with me. If I were a good blogger who cared about my readers, I would make your week by posting a video of all of us flailing around the living room like the genetically uncoordinated nerds we are, but, alas, I am too vain. The great thing is that the kids actually hound me to do it each day, so it’s like having a whole team of munchkin personal trainers!

Okay, back to speech prep. Hope you all have a lovely weekend!

Best line from your quick takes this week in my opinion
    #6 having a whole team of munchkin personal trainers!
    This gave me a good chuckle!
    Hope the speech goes well!

HAHA!! I agree with the previous comment about the munchkin personal trainers, hilarious.

Your number 1 totally sounds like me. When I was still pregnant I had to plan my kids’ summer totally not thinking about the fact that I’d be in recovery, handling 4 kids instead of 3, and all of this in 110+ weather. Somehow, I have survived so far, but I’m looking forward to school starting just so we have a normal schedule again instead of this insane summer schedule.

I’m not doing 7 Quick Takes this week. I haven’t or a while. I’m super duper behind on my blog because of this previously mentioned sweltering insanity.

Congrats to you for working out! I had a baby almost 6 months ago and I have yet to crack open the postnatal workout dvd. You are an inspiration :)

Good luck on your talk!

The idea for the golf balls is great! I hope your speech went well. And, a post-partum workout DVD…wow, I could probably one-up you on the vanity…I wouldn’t want my KIDS to see me doing it, LOL. But I hear you about getting moving again. I’m just a week behind you (in the post-partum world, with my 3-week-old) and I’ve been for walks and clean the house…but yeah, no DVD’s. :)

It’s been five years and I still haven’t started the postnatal workouts… sigh… LOVE the golf balls. This is a project that would make everyone happy, givers and getters. Hope the speech went well!

My kid is more like a talking, walking, demanding medicine ball. I haven’t lost much weight, but I’ve definitely put on plenty of muscle in the upper body, so maybe it evens out?

The munchkin personal trainers concept made me giggle too. :)

And thanks for the link to Dan Lord’s blog – fascinating stuff.

8. Marie says

First I enjoyed your interview on Choices we Face. I actually went on a pilgrimage with Renewal Ministries and got to know Peter Herbeck and his wife Debbie. They such a kind solid humble people. Have you gotten a lot more traffic on your blog si ce the interview?

Secondly, when my older two were about 7 and 8 they started bickering a lot,especially about which tv program to watch. so canceled our cable and we had no tv or internet for 6 months. the fighting completely stopped. i mean peace reigned. But then my dear hubby needed to watch basketball play offs i.e. March Madhess so back it came.

Oh, PLEASE!!!! show us, huh huh, PLEASE!! I need some munchkin trainers around here too eh 😉
    If I ever take up golf again, I would like to order some of those unique, lovely golf balls. Those things are to expensive to loose.

10. Jen G says

Really enjoyed seeing your interview on “The Choices We Face”! Thanks for the heads-up.

I was a fan of “Pain” back in the 90’s. Never made it to a concert, but I still have many of their
    CD’s. I’m looking forward to Dan’s posts as well!

As a golfer, I think those golf balls are pretty awesome!!
    And that is so cool that his song is on cartoon network!! I’ll have to check it out sometime!

Great golf ball idea! Also, thanks for the workout video recommendation… it’s amazing that you’re already working out! It always takes me a few months to feel like I can handle it again.

One of my favorite aspects of your work is your self-effacing sarcasm. You always manage to tread that fine line of being ironic without being snide — it’s wonderful.

And I’m always surprised (happily so) at your newest daughter’s name. There aren’t too many babies named Pamela lately!

I thank God for the internet, if only because it allows me to “know” YOU.
    You’re an awesome person, Jennifer Fulwiler. And that #4 is completely adorable. Prayers for you as you share your thoughts at the podium tonight!
    Thanks for hosting 7 Quick Takes…a highlight of my week:)

We’ve been tempted to get rid of cable. Seems no matter how many channels there are, there still is nothing worth watching. Maybe after baseball season.

Wow! That DVD cover is either optimistic or overwhelming for postpartum. I don’t have any kids yet, but that incredibly ripped tummy is kind of glaring to me– I have never looked like that, and never will, no matter how faithful I am to my workouts!

Love the golf ball art!! That sounds like a great Father’s Day/ Grandparents’ Day gift in our family.

I could do without TV, but internet… that’s a challenge.

Prayers for a successful speech!

I really hope your speech went well! I saw you tweeted that your dad and Yaya would both be there. Very exciting! :)
    Major props to you on getting going with the postpartum workout. My baby is going on 13 months, and while I have lost the baby weight, I’ve yet to get into a workout routine. You inspire me!

Isn’t it wild to think that many of us grew up in homes without cable or internet? Even through college, to have access to the internet from one’s dorm room was an unusual thing until perhaps my senior year. Amazing how things change so quickly (or not so quickly…I’m in denial about how much time has passed since then).

I LOVE the golf balls.

I adore the image of your team of munchkin personal trainers hounding you to “git to flailin’!”

And I’m not a golfer, but I think those golf balls look amazing. I hear Etsy calling your naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame 😀

I bet you could get a whole sermon out of the idea that Christianity is more compelling than climbing on the television!

I just love the golf balls; that made me smile. Also your friend without cable or Internet… I swear, one day… TV’s been gone since last December (never had cable in my life, just the old rabbit ears in some form or another) and it hasn’t been missed. I’ll probably lose it one day and throw out the modem cable. 😛

when I saw the photo of the golf balls- I first thought- WOW her dad must be pretty rich to get artists to draw on the balls…then I realized those kids of yours did it

Picasso said- it takes years to learn how to draw like a child

I wish I had something like 4 little personal trainers at my house….the cats tend to stare me down if I try anything like that, and the dog has too much fun trying to trip me up!

Hubby and I tried to live without cable and internet when I quit working in the public schools, but found that we ended up spending too much at restaurants that had “free” internet access. We still don’t have cable, and both of us are happy without it, although Hubby wishes there were a way for him to see football games like he can baseball games through MLB.com

The Golf Balls are TOO CUTE!!!

You’re a brave woman going to speak anywhere this soon after your daughter’s birth. I think it would really disturb people if you showed up and looked and acted as if you have everything in life figured out about God, marriage, parenting, housekeeping, writing…It’s the people who don’t have it all figured out and are willing to admit it and even laugh about it that are the most interesting anyway.

26. Kerry Wolf says

Really enjoyed your speech last night, Jen, and getting to say hello to you as well. I must admit during the whole thing I was thinking “WOW! How did she manage to put this big speech together with 5 little tiny kids underfoot?”. You are truly an inspiration!

I love the idea of being completely unplugged at home! We cancelled our cable a few months back, and have not missed it one bit. We have an antenna for important sports games and the news, and Netflix for everything else. Saves a lot of money, and a lot of time flipping through tons and tons of channels full of stuff we’d never even want to watch. I do miss Food Network, though… :-)

28. Kristen says

My husband and I had really hoped we would be able to go meet you and hear your speech last night! Too bad I’ve been recovering from another small clot (dang it!). Hope it went well!

29. Suzanne says

“Now, this probably wouldn’t work for someone like me who’s home all the time…” Well, it works for my sister who is at home all the time with her seven children. But I think it’s easier if you’ve never had it, as she hasn’t.

Once I asked my sister (who doesn’t get the newspaper either) how she finds out what is going on in the world — like if something really big happens or there is a weather emergency. She said because she is completely unplugged it has made such an impression on so many people that she gets phone call after phone call of people telling her when there is some sort of emergency.

Good on you to be able to do a workout CD. I don’t know why, but I feel like a dork when I try to do one in my own home, but perfectly fine when (if) I do the exact same thing at the gym! Of course, I’m thinking that I may have to get over that since it doesn’t look like I’ll be getting to the gym anytime soon!

I didn’t realize there were specific workouts for the post baby body. I wil have to check that out after the next one. Thanks for sharing.

My mom used to make my brothers join us in doing our exercise video for home school PE. They weren’t as small as your little ones, so we were always jostling around on the carpet trying to make room for everyone!

33. Tara S says

“These kind souls seem to have a mental image of me getting the phone call asking me to speak, looking around my immaculately organized house, past my children who are quietly engaging in some educational crafts, and saying, ‘Well, since I am so completely on top of everything around here, might as well!’ ”

HAHAHA…oh. That’s never the mental image I have of any mother with preschoolers, until it’s proven to be the case. And then I fear that woman, as an inscrutable and higher order of being. I have a venerating sort of fear of all moms of young children who have very clean and organized homes, no matter whether they manage to have time to do anything outside the home or not. :-)

34. John Knutsen says

My wife and I don’t have TV or internet at home either. I’m on the computer all day at work and I just don’t want the temptation in the house. It’s SO easy to get sucked into the black hole by telling yourself you need to look something up quickly or check your email for a second. Most of the time we don’t really need to. We do have a TV, but it’s exclusively for watching DVDs and we keep it covered with a big cloth when we’re not using it so it’s not the centerpiece of the room — we don’t get any TV channels at all. I recommend this kind of unplugging!

To all that wished Jennifer well in her speaking event last Thursday, thank you. I feel very lucky to have been in the audience and seen a number of faces laugh at her humor and light up at her honest truths. I have been following this blog for a while, and finally decided I loved the Friday tradition enough to attempt it myself (if I can figure it out :) Thank you, Jennifer.