7 Quick Takes Friday

In order to properly explain to you what this evening has been like, we would have to gather ’round a fire with goblets of mead, and have a medicine man rattle clam shells while I did a dramatic reenactment of the Homeric journey that was the hours surrounding the show’s debut. There was caroling and crashed servers, producers stranded on NYC streetcorners, drinking games and t-shirt suggestions, and, amazingly, tweets galore to the tune of a #MinorRevisions trending topic on Twitter.

Instead of writing my own quick takes post, I think I’ll stare at a wall for a few hours to decompress, and then treat myself to reading through all of yours. THANK YOU to everyone who watched and joined in for the show’s premier! I’m completely blown away.

[Details about how you can watch the show if you missed it coming soon!]

I missed it because of a Christmas party! But when I went to the netny (or whatever it’s called) to see when it would be on again, it was on! And just starting up! So I’m watching it now! So far, it’s awesome!

I hadn’t originally planned to watch but the bear child was still napping so I did… and joined the Twitter party. I’m an atheist turned Christian (I came to Christ through the Episcopal church and I’m now a Lutheran pastor’s wife) so I was *fascinated* by your discussion of your journey. I’m especially looking forward to your book.

The other interesting thing: my dad (agnostic/secular humanist) is also an astronomy nut. It’s actually funny that we move in the same circles politically and social justice-wise so we have mutual interests but approach them from completely different directions.

Something your dad might find interesting: the scientific with the most Christians is actually astronomy. One of the people with whom I attended church in college was a post-doc researcher at Lick Observatory and is now a professor of astronomy in Wyoming.

3. Cléo says

Oh I DO hope there will be a downloadlink sometime in the near future so we Europeans can enjoy the show too! I’m so excited about the preview already! (Can’t watch it – extremely pregnant as I may be – in the middle of the night)

Due to our son’s darn Christmas band concert I missed it…BUT…was SUPER DE DUPERTY excited to see the re-run dates and I already put it on my calendar for Saturday night…say WHAT?!?!?

Jen, you trended on Twitter!?!? ROCK ON! YOU GO GIRLFRIEND! (OK, I’m a big dork. Love me anyway.)

I tried to catch the encore (because, loser that I am, I miseed the first run because I had, ahem, forgotten, cough, that I needed to do the family calendar, choke), but it wouldn’t work right. I sure hope it’s available soon…the five minutes or so that worked before my buffering got wacky and then the show changed were AWESOME.

Keep up the great work (by which I mean: just be you!).

Blessings to your family!

6. Lauren S. says

Congratulations on a great show! Thank you for your courage to open up your life to all of us. I too had to be patient with buffering issues but it was worth it. I’m a convert to Catholicism also. I grew up Lutheran and converted 19 yrs ago to become a surface level Catholic but during the last 3 years have realized the gold mine that exists below the surface. Now I realize it’s a treasure that I will never entirely sift through but I will give it my best shot. My frustration is how to explain the beauty and truth I find it this 2000 year institution that our Lord gave us when I bump up against the hatred, false assumptions and apathy that exists. One soul at a time I guess! Thanks again. Looking forward to the next episode!

7. Meredith says

Thank you–hope we are able to watch it in some other form! We were trying to get the NET website to open, but I think your fans may have overloaded the server!

Thrilled for you!

8. Julie says

I loved it! Thank you for all the work and attention you put into it! Buffering issues were a bit of a pain, but I was just glad I could attribute them to the great interest in the show, rather than my stupid ol’ cable company (for once).

9. Shannon says

The show was great! Thanks for doing it! I really enjoyed it! It was fun to “see” you and your family, after reading so much of your writing on your blog and NCR column. Looking forward to the next episode!

10. TheresaEH says

PLEASE, let us know how we can watch it again!! The live feed kept blurping out and freezing :-( I guess we over loaded the server eh 😉

Oh my gosh. Last night really was so fun. And it was great being able to do something that I knew would not only be appropriate but actually beneficial for my big kids. Because when mom says something = meh. When a fabulous t.v. star lady with superb hair says it = totally awesome!

12. Flambeaux says

Alas, we missed it. So my wife and I will eagerly await news of how we can see this at some point in the future.

13. Laura says

I really loved watching your show last night–a show packed with substance, hilarity, & Austin!! I even enjoyed the commercials! Looking forward to tuning in next week!

You were great! I loved it. And I LOVE your hair. Sorry for the extremely shallow comment. The conversion stuff was great, but mostly, your hair.

So sorry I missed it. Unfortunately, I was stuck at my youngest son’s basketball practice. UGH! Oooh! I see that Melanie posted a link to the episode. I’m going to go now and check it out!

Have a great weekend!

16. richard says

I have to say I enjoyed watching Minor Revisions finally on YouTube. Looking forward to future episodes.

I didn’t catch it. Totally forgot…but hey, I blame pregnancy. I’m due around the same time as you and we just found out the gender. She broke our streak (6th baby also). We went girl, boy, girl, boy, girl…AND girl. I would love to meet Abby Johnson one day. I had an abortion as a teenager so yeah…I remember those Planned Parethood days.

Joel and I missed it – only because we were having our own server issues at Das Schmidt Haus. Urgh!! Time for a new modem. Loved following along on Twitter, though. Thanks for facilitating a fun time for the #cathmedia community. Looking forward to seeing it soon. Many blessings to your family!

19. Feargal says

Watched this morning on Youtube, the live show was on after midnight here in Ireland. Really enjoyed it, your father was so calm as you freaked out. What a man! Looking forward to the next episode.

Jen, I watched this episode on YouTube and thought it was great. I know this isn’t the major takeaway you want us to get, but you are really beautiful! And yes, love your hair. Anyway, I used to read your blog up until maybe 10 or 12 months ago, and then it seemed like a lot of the posts were Catholic-centered and not really applicable or appealing to me as a Protestant. You have officially lured me back. Can’t keep missing out on the smart and witty culture-engagement! I hope I get to see the other episodes–so cool to see you in your real life (so to speak) and also your dad and Joe–you are all such likeable, real, normal people :)

I just watched the show on YouTube because I missed the live airing. I loved it. The scorpion made me miss the Hill Country! Anyhow, congratulations! And I CAN’T WAIT FOR THE NEXT SHOW (theistic capital letters)!