7 Quick Takes Friday, Thanksgiving slackin’ edition

Yesterday was everything Thanksgiving should be. We spent the day with our parents and my 99-year-old grandfather, and enjoyed an amazing feast that was neither prepared nor cleaned up by me. We talked and sipped wine with football on the television and a fire pit crackling outside, and the kids ate their weight in pie.

We also took Christmas card pictures.

All that family fun meant that I didn’t get my 7 Quick Takes post written. I’ll make up for it next week, and look forward to reading your posts in the meantime. Happy Thanksgiving weekend, everyone!

1. Claire in the UK says

What a cute picture! I hope you and your family all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Enjoy your weekend.

I am #7 of 8 kids. We have many Christmas photos that look like that…my mom actually sent them out to people. It was before digital photography and I guess she wasn’t sure what everyone looked like until she got the film developed and at that point couldn’t or didn’t want to start over again!
    Happy Thanksgiving!

3. TheresaEH says

you enjoyed an amazing feast that was neither prepared nor cleaned up by yourself!!! that is my kind of feast 😉 that is the perfect Christmas card picture, keep it real.

4. Lynne says

Great photo! One of my favorite personal Christmas photos involves a kid who looks about like that. That’s what makes memories. You can spend many years in the future pulling out that photo and saying to that kid, “Ahh, remember this one?”

I spent Thanksgiving night finishing up Now I Walk on Death Row, by Dale Recinella. I don’t know if you were the one who recommended that or if one of your readers mentioned it, but it was an excellent and thought-provoking book. Another one of those true-life people-who-step-out-in-radical-faith books. Of course I’m also reading On Writing by Steven King (whom I generally avoid) and liking it, so maybe I’m not especially discriminating.

Happy Thanksgiving! Is it horrible that my favorite holiday pictures usually involve a crying child? In years to come they just always seem to be the cutest and most memorable!

So funny! This year, because of my oldest daughter’s wedding, the family photo was already taken care of back in September. I never realized how stressful our annual “Thanksgiving Day Christmas family photo shoot” was until this year, when we didn’t need to do it!

But I absolutely love what I see so far of yours! Classic! And Mama looks gorgeous, which is the most important thing. 😉

I was seriously going to use that one, just to make sure that everyone had an accurate glimpse of our lives, but there ended up being a better one. I was kind of disappointed. :)

I am in love with that photo. That better be on your cards. It’s so funny – as a photographer, I am always on the hunt for the “perfect” photo. It’s only when other people look through my “b” roll, that I am faced with the idea that “real” is better than “perfect.” Also, I take comfort in knowing we are not alone in our “family photos with crazy little children” woes. It gets better?

Happy belated Thanksgiving to all of you. I am so thankful for the work that you do, and the encouragement I get to pursue the ol’ writing just by your very blog. Blessings to you this sacred season! (Yeah, I’m ready to bring on the Advent.)

Love the photo! When I was growing up, we had a family rule that one of the six children had to cry during the Christmas photo shoot–and that continued even when we were all teenagers, though by then the tears were (usually) fake. Have a wonderful Advent!