Something Other than God

C.S. Lewis, an atheist-to-Christian convert, once observed: “All that we call history…[is] the long, terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.” As I wrote my story, I realized that it was as much about searching for true happiness as it was about undergoing a religious conversion. That C.S. Lewis quote often echoed in my mind.

And so, after five long years of very hard work, I am thrilled to tell you that the title of my book is Something Other than God. And here is the cover, created by Ignatius designer John Herreid:

something-other-than-god-fulwiler

A few folks read advance copies, and here is a sample of some of the generous endorsements the book has received:

“A humorous, uplifting story about one woman’s journey from lifelong unbelief to both faith and an intimate relationship with Jesus and His Church — Something Other Than God joins science, faith, and reason in an engrossing read.”
Cardinal Timothy Dolan, Archbishop of New York

“Jennifer Fulwiler’s spiritual memoir is thought-provoking, honest, and often hilarious. It will strike a chord with anyone who ever posed − or tried unsuccessfully to avoid − the big questions of life.”
Gretchen Rubin, New York Times bestselling author of Happier at Home and The Happiness Project

“Jennifer Fulwiler’s story of finding God when you aren’t looking for Him is a universal tale which will touch many hearts. With warmth and unflinching candor she leads us through a personal journey of faith and maturity that is as funny as it is affecting.”
Raymond Arroyo, host of The World Over, New York Times Bestselling Author

“What is this nonsense?”
— The three people who never spoke to me again after reading it

It’ll be released in hardcover in March. Pre-orders start in December. No exact dates yet, but you know I’ll keep you posted!

This is all so surreal and amazing and wonderful. THANK YOU so much for your support.

Comments

Thrilling, exciting, wonderful:):) A mammoth effort to write I’m certain, well done{{}} and to have Cardinal Dolan read and endorse your book!:)

Honest First Thoughts: When I saw this come up in my bloglovin feed, I thought (without reading the text blurb)- “Wow, whatever book Jen is recommending looks awesome, based on title and cover alone!”

So I was doubly excited to open the post and see that it is YOUR BOOK!

3. Linda says

Wow, this is beautiful! Great blurbs from some great folks, except those last three…what the heck do they know, anyway?! (did they really say that???) As for me, I can’t wait to read it.

Well, they didn’t say that — I don’t know what they said. But it’s true that a few folks have not talked to me since receiving the ms months ago. At least that doesn’t make me totally neurotic. :)

Wow! Couldn’t be more excited if it was my own book cover (ok, maybe that’s a bit of an overstatement–but it is beautiful!). Thanks for taking us on this writing journey with you–though I write fiction, I’ve found solace/inspiration from your struggles and triumphs along the way. Congrats, Jen!

Congratulations! Love the cover! I am grateful that you’ve been such a dedicated writer. You definitely played a part in my conversion! Imma go all fan girl and say I want a signed copy 😛

6. Michelle says

Very nice. I can’t imagine having those folks reading a book I wrote! I have wondered for the first time since watching your reality show and reading your blog, how fame may have affected you. Do you ever wish it hadn’t?

7. Amanda says

Congratulations! Love the cover! And what great endorsements! I’m looking forward to reading it.

The cover is just fantastic. Very elegant and well done. It makes it look like a classic book already (a good classic!). Congrats and I can’t wait to read it.

It’s just like you said – the cover fits the title and your personality perfectly! Looking forward to some good reading… Congratulations on such a great accomplishment!

10. Lynne says

“What is this nonsense?” lol

I predict Ignatius will be more swamped with preorders of this book than anything else they’ve ever released.

Love the cover and love the quote. I hope you are using one of those little squeezy hand excersizer things 5x/day because you’ll be doing lotttts of autographing now–will need much hand strength.

It’s beautiful! And the name strikes me (from what you’ve shared of your journey) as perfect. Just perfect. Congratulations on this exciting step! I can’t wait to read the book!

12. Anne says

Blurbs from Cardinal Dolan??! Gretchen Rubin!! Raymond Arroyo? Dang, Jennifer! Way to go. Can’t wait to read it. Congratulations on this super achievement. How is this all feeling?? :)

Thanks! And that’s a great question. It’s super exciting…but I also have a teething baby and a wild toddler and all sorts of household craziness that keep my attention mostly focused on mundane things like changing the next diaper or figuring out whether I can count a half-melted chocolate bar as lunch. And I think that’s a good thing. :)

13. Jennifer says

Congratulations! The book cover looks great! I never pre-order books, but I’ve been looking forward to this for so long that I’ll be placing mine in December.

14. Martha in VA says

I’ve have been reading your blog for years now anonymously and tell people about you all the time. I look forward to reading your book in March!

15. Lacia C says

Congratulations Jennifer!! Can’t wait to read this book and I will definitely be pre-ordering it!

OH. MY. GOODNESS. You got endorsements from Cardinal Dolan and Gretchen Rubin? GIRL YOU IN THE BIG LEAGUES! I can’t wait to pre-order my copy. I am so happy for you.

17. Cristi says

I have never posted here before but I just have to say that your cover is BEAUTIFUL! Your blog is such an inspiration and I CAN’T wait to read your book and tell everyone I know about it until they will no longer talk to me. 😀

18. Andrea says

Wow! You weren’t kidding about the cover — it’s fabulous! I love the title, I love the colors, and I especially love the winding road that leads to the Holy Spirit. That winding road is such a universal symbol of the path we all follow, restlessly seeking what we know not until we find it. I don’t know why, but when I first saw the cover, it brought a tear to my eye. It really resonated with me. I’m so happy for you, Jen, and I can’t wait to pre-order the book!

It’s funny, I had the same response of getting teary when I first saw it. At first I thought it was just from being overwhelmed by all the craziness it took to get to this point, but then I realized it was because the cover really does say so much about what the conversion process is like.

Thanks for sharing that!

• Jessica says

I just became teary as well. I’m really, really happy for you, Jen.

God be praised and may your work bring Him much glory.

Lots of love to you.

I honestly wanted to cry when I saw this post. I’m a convert so I always love reading conversion stories, but it goes much deeper than that. I converted five years ago without my husband, who is still discerning, and I am hoping he’ll be interested in reading the book. He doesn’t read your blog, but he has read many of the books you’ve recommended here (including your dad’s, which he enjoyed!) Maybe it won’t be a big leap to read yours! :)

20. Amy K says

Beautiful cover, and a great title! I can’t wait to read this! Your insights are so helpful to anyone–believer or un- — who has ever doubted God’s existence or his goodness.

Oh it’s beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful. This makes me so happy for you! :) Sending all my best!

You’ve worked so hard and look at the beautiful fruit of your writing endeavors, your path–this looks perfect. Ah I’m just so excited to get my hands on it! :)

Congratulations! I love how the cover design incorporates the dove from St. Peter’s Basilica in a modern way – with you chasing happiness and the holy Spirit chasing you. Can’t wait to read it!

23. Jamie says

I’m really happy for you and for your success. I know that this was a FAMILY affair to get this book published and it is their success as well. I will definitely be reading this book! I have very much appreciated your blog and conversion story. (I’m the Lutheran who reads Catholic blogs :P) My husband and I are also Christian converts so we very much identify with your journey.

24. Theresa Sismilich says

I’m with Lynne. It was no accident. But I guess I will have to read the book to understand that part of the title. Congrats on your book!

25. Jen G says

As someone who has been reading your blog for a long time, I offer my congratulations!! I’m very eager to read it. Have you ever thought about offering a seminar on time management? I don’t know how you do it!

Thanks so much! And I’m actually not great at time management. I think the big “secrets” are 1) that I worked on it so long — five years gives you a lot of time to get something done. And 2) Joe and I agreed together that *we* would get this done, so he gave me a lot of writing time by watching the kids so that I could go to coffee shops and focus.

26. Tom F. says

Congratulations Jennifer, I can’t wait to read this. As I was reading the post, I was having visions of giving a copy to my wife for Christmas, seeing her unwrap it and say “Oh, this is perfect, I was hoping you would get me this for me, I’ve always wanted to read a book just like this! This is the most wonderful Christmas gift ever!!!” But…but…but then I got to the bottom and it said March!! MARCH!! As in three months after Christmas. And my little Christmas morning fantasy just went poof! I guess I’ll just go back to my original plan of bunny slippers and an omelet maker, what could go wrong?

27. Claire in the UK says

WOW – you have reviewers in high places. Well done!
    Many congratulations. When will we get it in bookstores in the UK ?

28. PatJ61 says

Cardinal Dolan is your first reviewer? WOW! Are there plans for an Audible edition of the book? Please say yes.

Gee, I sure would love to give this to a few people for Christmas this year…so glad it will be out soon. Please keep us informed. God bless you, Jennifer!

30. Mira says

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

If we can judge a book by its cover – then this one is going to be awesome!!

Enjoy every second of your success, you’ve earned it.

And the last endorsement made me laugh at loud. Thank you so much for that.

Wahooooo!!!

31. Katie says

Congratulations- I know that this must feel like a child being born. I know that the Holy Spirit will bless your work and that many souls will be touched by your story. Thank you for putting yourself “out there”. I know that your humor will go a long way to dispelling the myth that Catholics don’t have fun. Well done.

32. Marilyn says

Wonderful, congratulations! I’m not at all surprised at the endorsements…I look forward to reading it.

33. Cindi says

Your book looks amazing from the outside, the reviews from Cardinal Dolan(!) and Gretchen Rubin and Raymond Arroyo (!) will draw people inside to discover what your bloggees (Ha! I just made up a word!) already know. That is…you are a great storyteller who has an uncanny ability to make people laugh and smile, but most of all who is an attractive example of loving and living Christ. May many souls be converted by your perseverance and by your story. Looking forward to reading it.

34. Shirley says

Congratulations, Jennifer! I love the cover!! I am so happy for you and excited to get to read it! You’ve put so much hard work into it and I know it will be a huge success.

Jen- We all feel like we know you and love you, especially those of us who have been reading this blog and watching you on EWTN for a long time. I almost want to run out and grab the first person I see and show them the cover and say “My good friend Jen is publishing this book!” That wouldn’t be weird or anything would it? Congrats. We all want autographed Copies! :)

I’m giving it to my husband for Christmas,even though I won’t have it yet. It will be an IOU type of gift. Can’t wait!!

37. Marie says

Congratulations! This is such a beautiful cover and I, like many others, am eagerly awaiting your book! I can’t even imagine how much work and energy you’ve poured into this and it’s going to be amazing!

I LOVE it! But March???? MARCH???? I’m with Dweeja, patience is not a virtue I possess in enough quantities to tolerate a March release of your book!

But seriously the cover, the title, the reviews, everything about it is just perfect. I’ve been reading your blog since my first son was born, so about 5 years now, and I’ve been looking forward to this book to come out someday for all that time. It feels surreal that it’s finally done, your book has a cover and reviews and a real release date. Totally crazy! My long-suffering husband will no longer have to hear “come here, you have to hear what Jen wrote today!”…..I’ll just get him his own copy of the book and make him read it instead. :)

39. RMF says

Cardinal Dolan as a book reviewer…nice!

Congratulations on your first book; here’s hoping for a long stay on best seller lists!

40. Rachael says

Congratulations! I have recently discovered your blog and have really enjoyed it. I am looking forward to reading your book when it comes out next year.

41. Lindsey Wilson says

“A few folks…” …like Cardinal Dolan?! Wow, Jennifer, kudos! I cannot wait to get your book and read it!

42. Aileen says

Oh, Jen, the cover is so beautiful!! Simple but elegant. I’ve been reading your blog for years and love it. Consider me among the blog stalkers who don’t know you in real life but consider you a *friend* lol. Can’t wait to preorder the book in December!

If you need a book-reviewer OR if I can give one away on my blog – I’d love to do one or both of those.
    As a convert – I am extremely excited!

LOVE LOVE LOVE!
    em

I’m late to the party, but I wanted to extend a HEARTY congrats! This is so exciting for you (and us too!) I can’t wait to get my paws on it. I hope that I will be able to chat with you about it in July!

45. Bernardett says

I’m a 18 years old mexican girl who CAN NOT wait for your book! I’ve been waiting for years! >.<

I've been an addict since I found your blogs a few years ago (thanks to my father who brought a catholic magazine where it was mentioned).

I hope the pre-sell includes international readers too!

46. Bernardett says

I hope the pre-orders includes international readers too!