Ten images that tell you everything you need to know about this blog

I was cleaning up my media files in WordPress today. As I scrolled past all the images, I realized that you could let someone who’s never visited my site look through them, and he or she would have a very accurate impression of what I’ve been writing about lately.

That got me wondering: If I were to choose 10 images that I’ve used in previous posts that I think tell you everything you need to know about this blog, what would they be? Joe got in on the challenge, and we were laughing out loud as we pointed out the pictures that were the most telling, and then stopped to reflect on what that said about us. Though this probably falls into the “nobody cares” category, I just had to share the results of this endeavor.

Here is what I came up with (along with links to the posts where they first appeared).

(original post)

My bookshelf

(original post)

(original post)

(original post)

(original post)

(original post)

(original post)

Yaya puts a shoe on one kid while...actually, I have no idea what's going on in this picture.

(original post)

(original post)

(original post)

So…yeah. For better or worse, those images tell you pretty much everything you need to know about my life and what I write about.

(Fellow bloggers, you have to do this too. That was so fun.)

Haha! I loved this. And I remember most of them from your posts. But, number EIGHT! Oh my gosh! I do remember the photo, but as a sweet one with Yaya helping your daughter put on her shoe. I did NOT catch before that the little one is sitting on her sister! I don’t mean to laugh at your daughter’s expense, but oh, my… Thanks for the laugh this morning.

That is a great idea! I can imagine the two of you had a good time going through all the photos to come up with ten.
    With #10, all I could think was, “And that’s why the Dukes of Hazzard boys went in feet first and out head first.”

Of course, you almost lost me at “I was cleaning up my media files in WordPress today.” I have a hard enough time cleaning my house, let alone media files.

3. mandamum says

I remember most of them, and it’s neat to see them together like that. But somehow I missed the saga of #10, and it (and the posts it comes from) made my insomniac morning :) Better not wake the kids with my laughter…

Ha…I loved this so much. I remember reading many of those posts…I loved them the first time and I loved them even more the second time. Especially that one with the baby that says “Worth It” on the bottom. LOVE that one and LOVED that post!

5. Kris says

The car one made me laugh out loud! And I guess I can consider myself a faithful reader, since I didn’t even need to look up the original posts to know where you were going with each picture!

6. Kelley says

So funny! A stroll down memory lane…

The picture that pops into my head when I think of your blog is the one that had a naked baby doll with unkempt hair laying face-down in an upholstered chair that appears to have been recently mistaken for the potty. Correct me if I am wrong, but your caption was, “I feel ya, sister.” Our kids are all roughly the same age and I felt it too! That was the post I subscribed on!

• Charity says

Ahh, the face down in pee doll! I still have a strong visceral reaction to just the mention of this picture! If I were a hacker and wanted to start a blog, I would steal that picture and make it my header, and my wallpaper, and my avatar for all virtual representations of me for every social networking site. Good times, good times.

I love this post! It made me laugh, and I automatically started thinking about which 10 would be the best representatives of my blog. Those edits (the ones in the original post also) are so funny. I think I might have to do this too :)

8. KyCat says

HaHa! Thank you so much for that laugh out loud post! That’s why we keep coming back – all of it!

9. Elizabethe says

The gingerbread house one made me lol. I currently have three partially constructed craft projects cluttering the various surfaces of my home, a crayon wax paper stained glass window, a Charlemagne puppet show, and a fall leaf rubbing. That gingerbread house is right up my alley.

I was also thinking about the Scorpian infestation poster. My first thought was it would be better to have the band scorpion terrorizing your house but then i had second thoughts. I actually enjoy hair band music, but not sure if I would want the actual band running amok in my house, they’d have to like use my hairbrushes and my hair dryer and they’d probably use up all my aqua net and they’d probably have to spend some amount of time driving around in my convertible with the top down and singing. Then they’d probably actually stand in top if the car and sing. And I don’t even have any bic lighters so I would be unable to do a lighter tribute while they sang dust in the wind. So you might be better off with the insects.

10. Susan says

#5! Oh my goodness! I missed that one, but I’d say the photo stands on its own! And #8! Everyone should have a grandma like that!!! Thank you Jen!!!

What books have you kept on the shelf you obtained prior to your conversion? Recently my parents told me to go through all my books from college and high school. I decided to keep “The Population Bomb” & my college text on Marx & Engels.

It’s funny, just this afternoon I was looking at my shelves and realized that they’re still full of books by Pinker, Dawkins, Sagan, etc. I just can’t part with books!

I remember most of these. :)

So a few weeks ago we were having a little family moment around a fire in the yard and suddenly Aaron yelled, “Everyone get back! There’s a scorpion.”

Thailand has scorpions too. But none in the house yet.

Except, because it’s Aaron, he didn’t just kill the thing and carry on. He caught it, fried it, and gave it to the kids to eat. And then recorded it for posterity. http://www.shelaughsatthedays.net/2013/11/scorpion-eaters.html

At least we won’t starve if our support runs out?