Here’s the big announcement!

I have spent a shameful amount of time offline this summer. I’ve had epiphanies while loading the dishwasher that I didn’t chronicle here on the blog, wry internal commentary that I failed to put on Twitter — I’ve even eaten creatively-plated meals that I didn’t photograph for Instagram! I am really hoping that Fall means much more time for me to stare at glowing screens! (That sounded less pathetic when I said it in my head.)

Anyway, I can finally tell you the reason for my absence (other than the book launch, book tour, conference, and 10-day vacation). I’ve been immersed in radio boot camp, because…

I have a radio show on SiriusXM! And it starts next week!

radio-fulwiler

It’s called The Jennifer Fulwiler Show. It’ll be on SiriusXM Channel 129, live on Thursdays from 1 – 2 PM ET. It begins next Thursday, September 11!

When I recorded the first demo earlier this summer, I walked into the studio without any nervousness. I like to talk, I’ve been on the radio as an interviewee plenty of times, and I had a blast co-hosting Lino Rulli’s show. How hard could it be to do your own radio show?

Then I sat down in the downtown Austin studio, put on headphones, and began the demo.

The intro music faded out, and there was this split second of silence so sudden and so complete that it felt as if the entire universe had disappeared. I began talking, and then it felt like…the entire universe was still gone, except for my disembodied, booming voice, which suddenly sounded very awkward and loud and strange to me.

I discussed a topic at length and felt certain that I must be at least a quarter way into the show, only to look at the clock and see that it had only been three minutes. I had to keep track of when to go to break and communicate with a producer while talking. I had a technical issue come up, and realized that there was no hitting the pause button to deal with it, because this will be a LIVE show.

radio-fulwiler-2

All that is to say:

Creating a good solo radio show is hard work. It is vastly more challenging than I ever imagined it would be.

But it’s also a ton of fun. Already in the demos, I’ve had moments where I was laughing so hard that I could barely pull myself together. I’m able to share new stories and ideas that are better conveyed verbally than in writing. The audio format offers a chance to connect with people in a whole new way.

I’m equal parts nervous and thrilled for the first show next Thursday. If you have SiriusXM, you should call in to the show and say hello (and if you don’t, you can get a free trial here)!

Whether or not you can catch the show, I’m sure I’ll have some great stories to blog about. I can’t wait to share this new adventure with you!

Comments

1. Barbara Bowman says

Since I am teaching kids at that time, do you know if/when there will be a rebroadcast. I listened to you with Lino, and was pretty sure you were coming to Sirius/XM. Still I have to say I’m pretty impressed that with all your other accomplishments, you are adding radio host to your busy week.

2. Christine says

I was going to do the free trial, but it asks you to agree that you’re a member of the 48 contiguous states, DC, or Puerto Rico. I live in alaska, not sure what the hangup is there, but I guess no free trial for me! I hope you link to podcasts if that happens 🙂

• Madmaxi says

I think they have a free trail with the internet version, and they also have a App that carries all the shows. Do not know if the App is a free trial or not. The streaming version works well, and you can access archived shows. Hope that helps.

Wow! That’s so exciting! Congratulations! I don’t have Sirius XM but will have to see if I can catch it somewhere else!

Hey Jennifer! I loved the shows you did with Lino a few weeks ago and am really looking forward to your new show! Unfortunately I won’t be able to catch it live but hopefully I can pick it up afterward with the SiriusXM app.

Blessings on this new endeavour!

Jennifer! Congratulations! That is tremendous. How exciting for you, your family, and your fans. I will keep my eyes peeled for a way to listen.

6. Faith says

So happy to hear this!! I was hoping it would be the case after hearing you on the Catholic Guy. There needs to be more women on that channel hosting things and not just giggling in the background.
    Good Luck and Blessings!

I am so excited! We got a Sirius trial in our new car and we were debating renewing it…. I’m sold! (I think my husband was already sold thanks to 90s on 9.) Can’t wait to listen!

8. Lee says

Congratulations! Please consider having a podcast since not everyone can listen live. I enjoyed your co-hosting w/ Lino on his podcast feed. Thanks.

9. Frankie says

I’m not a fan of the talking heads on SiriusXM Catholic Channel but I did enjoy your brief stint on Rulli’s show. My humble suggestion is to BE SUBSTANTIVE. It’s awful listening to someone just blather on in order to fill out the time they’re on the air. Make what you say meaningful and avoid filler. You’re only on one day a week for one hour. You can do it!

This is amazing!!! You are one brave woman!!! I wonder how many new XM radio subscribers there will be following this announcement… 😉

Congratulations Jen, and like some others I also hope there will be a recorded podcast option. You look right at home in the studio!

Yea!!!
    I am a huge Catholic Channel fan…. I had a wish for someone like you to join their ranks!! We are blessed to be able to hear you each week!!!

Congratulations Jennifer! I love tuning into the Catholic channel and now I have one more reason to! Can’t wait for your show.

14. Mary Beth Sawyer says

Oh my, welcome to Catholic radio!!! I don’t have Sirius, but hopefully the shows will be podcast?? Congratulations!!!!

I *may* have complained just recently that the Catholic channel needed new content badly (not that what’s on there isn’t good– I just always seem to catch the same things), and now the new content is you! Woohoo!! Can’t wait!

16. Jane says

When I saw your headline, my first thought was; “Oh God, she is pregnant again. Better start PRAYing NOW.” A radio show was actually rather anticlimactic.

YAY! I have some friends that were all speculating this but no one could confirm anything. Glad it is now officially out there in the open and can’t wait to catch your show!

18. Lynne says

So I pulled up your blog and spent a moment looking at the picture of you standing with baby in the studio; you look simply gorgeous! And very stylish, too. I walked away from the computer to finish some cleaning and soon noticed my husband standing in front of the screen, obviously entranced by what he saw. I thought, “Is MY husband staring at Jennifer Fulwiler?!?” Then I noticed a flashing ad just to the left of your photo, boldy advertising, “SPICE! UP! YOUR! MARRIAGE!” So now I’m thinking maybe he was staring at that.

I was so hoping Sirius XM was something like Pandora–something you can catch over the internet. But I see that it’s a subscription. Big bummer. It sounds like it would be a blast to listen to. And it sounds like a super fun project for you!

I loved, loved, loved listening to you on Lino’s show and grabbed a pen out of my jumbled purse and write Conrvsn Dry? on the back on of checkbook cover to make sure I remembered the title when I got home (I was on a long drive; it’s the only way I can listen to Lino’s entire shows.) I immediately bought your book, appreciated its humor, intelligence, and insights on becoming a Catholic later in life and through your reasoned approach. I came into the faith at age 41, although already a Christian. Reading about the faith was a huge part of it, but being a mother was also key. I enjoy every time I hear you on his show, and I, too, urge you to make your shows available through podcasts for those of us who can’t listen “live.” This is terrific news. And I also have to say how wonderful it is to have a Christian mom, wife, and woman with a sense of humor and reality who tells it like it is. 🙂

20. Peggy says

How do you do it all??? And still look sane??? I have a new car with a 3- month trial of Sirius/XM. I will be into car next Thursday listening to you.

21. Marie says

Sending prayers as you begin a new adventure! I’m excited to hear you on your own. I have been following your blog for a few years now. I caught a few shows with you and Lino as I was driving back and forth to San Diego (3+ hrs). So enjoyable!

22. Jenna Parkins says

Congrats! I love every show on Sirius/XM channel 129! I actually heard a little of the show with you and Lino. So excited for a new show!

23. Danuelle M. says

I heard you on The Catholic Guy and have been waiting for this news, so wonderful. I listen to the Catholic Channel whenever I am on the car, this will motivate me to figure out how to listen on the computer before next Thursday. I know it is included in my subscription, but I never invested the time to get it set up. I am really looking forward to listening, you were great with Lino.

24. Rosemary says

Please can you have a podcast version??? All of us can’t listen or access the radio… pleeeease.

25. Lorik says

Yay! I actually heard you on The Catholic Guy right before meeting you at Edel this summer and loved listening to you…found the whole Divine Office conversation hysterical and was thinking, “Yeah, we could really use her voice on here!” …had also been thinking lately they need more women on the Catholic Channel! Looking forward to it!

26. Nancy says

Congratulations on your spot on Sirius Radio. I no longer have it. I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your book Something Other Than God that I just finished reading I could hardly put it down. In some areas in your research on the Catholic Church as a life long Catholic I could see myself having some of the same problem dealing with a good God and the terrible things that happen to good people. Though I don’t know you you have been a big help in my faith. I also saw you on Women Of Grace and that is how I found out about your book. May all be well with you and yours.
    Peace
    Nancy

27. Lynne says

Oh my word. We just got a new (to us) car and yesterday I figured out it has SXM radio. I can only say that it is divine providence that I will now be able to listen to your radio show!!!!!!!!! And better: I will have to go out into the car, alone, to listen!!!!! Hurrah!!!!