If my babysitting ad were honest…

Happy almost-summer! This is our last week of homeschool before the end of the academic year, although I’m not sure how much of a difference my children will notice. Our definition of what constitutes “school” always devolves rapidly around the beginning of May, and today I found myself watching them count the pieces of candy they were eating for lunch, and wondering if that could count as math class.

What else is new? I have a few new podcast episodes up from the radio show that you might enjoy:

This afternoon, I’m spending my time putting together an ad for a part-time summer babysitter. As I was filling out the info on Care.com, I was half tempted to write a really honest job description, which would have looked something like this:

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Applicants would be beating down my door, I’m sure.

Anyway, I just wanted to check in and say hello. As always, you can find more regular updates from me on Facebook, Twitter (@JenFulwiler),  and Instagram (@JenniferFulwiler). Hope your week is off to a great start!

Comments

Haha, I could have written that ad (but not with your style!), except we only have 4 kids. Same size house, probably very similar challenges. We homeschool through much of the summer, so that we can take all of Advent and Christmas off. So summer is a little odd at our house. But being able to send the kids outside in the afternoon after a long winter makes it feel like vacation time!

Haha, love this! I’d come babysit your kids except for the scorpion infestation. I can handle howler monkeys but I don’t think my heart would survive uncovering a hidden scorpion while picking up the toys or going to the bathroom.

Haha, sounds about right. I didn’t disclose nearly this much detail to my new girl, however, and we’re 3 weeks in and haven’t broken her yet 😉

4. Emily says

haha I would take that job in an instant! If you are willing to fly someone to Texas you could have me and I wouldn’t even have to commute to work! lol I have 14 siblings so the craziness is normal to me…

5. Tony says

Great one! My wife and I only have 2 girls, but live in a 2 bedroom house and would love a 3 bedroom house so they can have their own rooms. I can only imagine what you have to go through! :-S God bless you!

Ha! I am with Amanda! I am not intimidated by the 6 children (says the naive non-mom) but after reading your latest posts re: scorpions and snakes (not to mention snapping turtles, though they sound less horrifying) I don’t think I will venture anywhere near Austin this side of eternity!

7. John says

Jen Fulwiler AND Simcha Fisher…in the same podcast!! It’s why God gave me ears!

Listening to your interview, I was struck by the question you asked Simcha: would you have the same number of children if you weren’t Catholic? In our case, the answer would almost certainly be “no.” I was an atheist all my adult life. My wife was sort of an indifferent Catholic in name only. When we got married, she wanted two children, and even the idea of two seemed expensive and difficult.

What changed when I had my conversion experience was not that I felt I now had to have more children in order to prove I was a good Catholic–I have my hairshirt and my sweet Jim Caviezel tatoo for that. It’s that my whole outlook on life changed. I wasn’t chiefly going through life scared and selfish anymore, trying to control everything as much as I could. (Well, not as much anyway.) No, instead, I felt so grateful, so joyful, that I no longer saw having children as a burden, a hindrance, or a foolish financial calculation, but as a great loving, life-affirming act of trusting abandon to the God who made me his own.

Today, my wife and I have four children…and are talking about a fifth.