I’m so happy that you attended my talk in Sioux Falls, SD! If you’d like to keep in touch, I’d love for you to sign up for my email list here!
Below is the 10-day mini retreat program I recommend for discovering how you can regain a sense of focus and discover how God wants you to be thriving right now.
PREPARING FOR THE 10 DAYS
Choose a 10-day period when your life isn’t too crazy busy, and plan to set aside a few moments at the beginning and end of each day to pray and reflect on each topic.
Also, I recommend that you include some sort of fasting during the process. I recently did a green smoothie fast that really helped me get things back on track in my life. Even if you don’t want to undertake a fast that’s that extreme, letting go of some food or drink that has become entrenched in your daily habits will help you take a fresh look at how you approach each day.
Let’s get started!
ASK: What is my charism? How is God calling me to use that gift in my life right now?
- What are gifts and talents that give you energy when you use them?
- Consider looking into the Called and Gifted course if you’d like to take this exploration further.
ASK: What is my root sin?
- Read up on the concept of root sins here.
- Reflect on whether yours is PRIDE, VANITY, or SENSUALITY.
- Ask God to reveal what temptations you need to watch out for as you set new goals and seek to thrive in your life.
ASK: What are my true priorities? Do my choices reflect my priorities?
- Draw the pyramid.
- Am I putting my TIME where my priorities are? If someone looked at my daily schedule, would she know what I truly value?
- Am I putting my MONEY where my priorities are? If someone looked at my monthly spending, would she see what I truly value?
ASK: What false limits am I living under?
- Do I let the voice of people who don’t know me well influence my behavior (e.g. listening to feedback on Facebook or other social media)?
- Do I make choices based on what God is calling me to do, or based on what I feel like I should do to be Catholic the “right” way?
ASK: What is our family culture? How can we embrace it?
- How is my family different from other families? If a TV writer were to create a show based on my family, what would the show description say?
- What are things that our family is good at? What are thing we are not good at?
- What weaknesses is God calling us to embrace as part of our family culture, and in what areas is he asking us to try harder?
ASK: How can I build my village?
- Consider the ways in which the life of a modern mother is actually more difficult than that of our ancestors.
- How can I build my own village to re-create the communities in which God designed us to live?
ASK: What do I need to thrive?
- Give yourself permission to ask these questions without worrying about being self-indulgent:
- What changes would I need to see in order to truly thrive? More time alone? More time with friends? More travel? (Give yourself permission to be completely honest.)
- What needs is God leading me to ask him to meet right now? What does God want me to pray for in this department?
ASK: Is there help I’m not accepting?
- Very often God sends us the help we need, but we don’t see it because it’s not in the form we wanted. Is there support that is available to me that I’m turning down because of pride, vanity, or false humility?
ASK: Where do I need to add hard stops to my life?
- Consider how unnatural it is to live a life without hard stops.
- Consider the Mother Teresa lesson of not doing more than God gives you the time to do.
- What hard stops should I add to my life?
- Am I ready to truly trust that God will take care of whatever doesn’t get done?
ACT: Look in the mirror, see Mary
- Do I know that a loving, holy woman can look just like me, with all my unique quirks and attributes?