I know I have at least a few readers from outside the United States, and I’d love to open up this post to you guys to hear about what the religious climate is like in your part of the world.
I hear the media reports and have visited quite a few countries as a tourist, but I’d like to hear the inside scoop. So, if you live (or have lived for an extended time) outside the U.S., I’d be delighted if you could take a moment to enlighten us with your perspective on the following questions:
- Where do you live? (Or, if you’re not currently living there, what part of the world is it that you’re familiar with?)
- What is church attendance like in your area? Are there many churches? Do they seem to have active memberships?
- Imagine a typical social event in your area. How appropriate would it be if a person were to explicitly acknowledge in casual conversation that he or she is a believing Christian (e.g. make a statement like, “We’ve been praying about this a lot” or “I’ve asked God to show me what the right answer is to my dilemma”)? Would a statement like that seem perfectly normal or a bit odd?
- Imagine a typical neighborhood in your area. If a practicing Christian family moved in, how would they fit in? Would they blend right in or seem out of place?
- How many families do you know who have more than two children?
- What seems to be the dominant belief system of the people in your area?
- Do you notice any trends? Do people seem to be becoming more or less religious?
Please feel free to add any additional thoughts or comments as well — long comments welcome.
As you can tell, my interest is primarily in countries that are historically Christian, but anyone is welcome to reply. I’m looking forward to reading your answers!
UPDATE: If anyone would prefer to answer these questions on their blog rather than in the comments, feel free to use the Mr. Linky below. (Thanks to Marit for that suggestion!)
|1. Lizzie at A Whisper of Grace
3. Kathryn (The Bookworm) – corrected link
|7. Linda (Holland)
8. Koala Bear Writer (Canada)
Be the first to hear about comedy tour cities and dates!
Join my email list and I'll send notes a couple of times per month and will never share your email address.