This could not be more of a tangent from the usual subject matter of this blog, but I had to post it…
I got up early this morning, as I usually do to get some quiet time before the kids wake up. I am a night owl to the core, and though I get up early out of necessity it is not something I enjoy at all. As I did my zombie walk around the kitchen to put some coffee on, I tried to imagine what it would be like to be a morning person, to just want to get up early because…because you like getting up early or something. After a while of pondering this I realized that I don’t believe that morning people actually exist. It’s too hard for me to imagine. Even in seasons of my life where I had to get up early every day and regularly got uninterrupted sleep, I still loathed it.
I ended up recalling evidence like college roommates being horrifyingly perky at 7:00am and friends at sleepovers laughing and generally acting like they weren’t hating life at breakfast time, so I decided that morning people might actually exist. That left me with a bunch of questions about this phenomenon. I know this makes me weird, but I am such a hardwired night owl that getting these insights from morning people would be quite interesting and exotic for me.
If anyone would care to indulge me, here is what I’m yearning to know:
- If you didn’t have any obligations, what time would you go to bed at night?
- Assuming the bedtime from #1, if you didn’t set an alarm, what time would you naturally wake up in the morning?
- If you have gotten a good amount of sleep the night before, how long does it take you to feel energized and ready to go after you wake up? Or do you just feel like jumping out of bed as soon as you open your eyes?
- If you have not gotten a good amount of sleep the night before, do you still feel peppy in the morning? If you do feel tired upon waking, how long until you feel more fully awake?
- Have you ever in your life felt alert and fully ready to get up as soon as you awoke?
- Do you like being a morning person? Don’t you ever look out your window and think, “Aaah, this is awful, I’m awake and the sun is barely up! Why aren’t I asleep?!”
I’d be delighted to be enlightened about this. I’ll leave my answers in the comments for contrast.
Be the first to hear about comedy tour cities and dates!
Join my email list and I'll send notes a couple of times per month and will never share your email address.