Hi, everyone! As you may have heard, on Wednesday I was diagnosed with pulmonary embolisms. I was hospitalized and released last night, but am unfortunately back in the hospital now, with no idea when I’ll be released this time.
Joe and I both wanted to apologize that we haven’t replied to many of the kind notes from folks offering to help. Things have been so crazy that it’s hard to stay on top of emails and texts, but the main problem is that we just don’t have many answers. The situation keeps changing from hour to hour, so we’re not sure what we need when. Be assured, though, that we will ask for help if and when we could use it — I’ve learned the hard way that declining assistance when you need it doesn’t do anyone any favors.
While I’m waiting for my next round of tests, I’ll share a few details of the past few days courtesy of my tablet and the hospital’s free WiFi:
- I had started having shortness of breath issues in early December, but it got bad the day after Christmas. I just thought I’d gotten out of shape or something.
- Since I was also well into the second trimester (I’m 24 weeks now) I thought it could be normal pregnancy breathlessness.
- I went in for a routine OB checkup on Wednesday. I told my doctor about the shortness of breath and asked to have my iron levels checked. He noticed that I was struggling to breathe just sitting there having a conversation with him, and said, “That’s not anemia. Go to the ER. Now.”
- A CT scan showed multiple pulmonary embolisms in both lungs.
- I am homozygous for the Factor II clotting disorder, so we knew clots were a risk.
- I was taking Lovenox as a preventative measure, though I had missed a few doses due to holiday craziness. Oddly, I had accidentally missed plenty of doses in other pregnancies too, and it was never an issue. The only thing different this time is that I was taking the new generic brand.
- My Lovenox dose was doubled to treat the clots. They didn’t want to do a follow up CT scan to avoid exposing the baby to more radiation. I was released last night even though the clots are still there, since things seemed to be stabilizing.
- This morning I had severe shortness of breath, back pain, and a heart rate of 131, so, long story short, I ended up back in the ER and now back in the hospital.
- Our priest came to the hospital to give me the Anointing of the Sick, and I was able to make a confession and receive the Eucharist as well. It’s impossible to describe the impact that had on my wellbeing. I am so, so grateful for our priests.
And that’s all I know. Now I’m lying here in a hospital bed with an IV and about a thousand wires connected to me, waiting for the OB and the hematologist to figure out what to do next. With all the decisions, we need to weigh benefits to my health to risks to the baby, so it takes a while to figure everything out.
As I said, everything changes every few minutes, so things are very much in flux. I’ll update here or on Twitter as I’m able. Thank you so much for your prayers and support!
Oh, and on a brighter note: for those of you who missed the announcement in the last Minor Revisions episode, the baby is a BOY!
Be the first to hear about comedy tour cities and dates!
Join my email list and I'll send notes a couple of times per month and will never share your email address.