Every other year I like to ask readers to talk about religious trends in their parts of the world. These posts always lead to the most fascinating discussion, so I’m excited to do it once again!
Take a moment to answer the following questions. I’m especially interested to hear from folks who live outside of the United States:
- Where do you live? If you’re outside the U.S., PLEASE NOTE YOUR COUNTRY IN CAPITAL LETTERS.
- What is church attendance like in your area? Are there many churches? Do they seem to have active memberships?
- How appropriate would it be if a person were to acknowledge in casual conversation that he or she is a believing Christian? For example, if someone were having a conversation in an office break room and made a passing comment like, “I’ve been praying about that” or “our pastor talked about that at church on Sunday…”, would that seem odd?
- What belief system do the politicians in your area claim to practice? For example, in Texas almost all politicians at least claim to have some kind of belief in God, regardless of what they may think in private — to openly admit to being an atheist would be political suicide in most parts of the state. Is this the case in your area?
- How common would it be to see a family with more than three children? If a family with five children moved to your area, how would people react to their family size?
- What was the dominant belief system in your area 50 years ago? What is it now?
- Do the people where you live seem happy with their lives?
Please feel free to add any additional thoughts or comments as well. I can’t wait to read your answers!
+ + + + +
Here is an (optional) template for you to copy and paste into the comment form if that makes it easier for you to answer:
(You’ll see text that says “See more at conversiondiary.com” when you paste. Just delete that.)
Also, last time around I had requests to post a linky list for people who preferred to write up their answers on their own blogs. If anyone would like to do that, here you go!
Be the first to hear about comedy tour cities and dates!
Join my email list and I'll send notes a couple of times per month and will never share your email address.